Pullets bloody head!!!

I tried the Rooster Booster no peck stuff---my chickens apparently love the taste of the stuff, didn't stop them at all. Go figure.

This just happened to one of my hens today. I brought her in the house and upon looking closer there is skin missing and also a hole in the skull cause I think I see her brain. Yuck!! She seems fine other than the hole in her head, but I am wondering if the skin will heal over the skull??

Good Luck with the pullet! hope she is ok!
so sorry she heart her head!
sad.png

This just happened to one of my hens today. I brought her in the house and upon looking closer there is skin missing and also a hole in the skull cause I think I see her brain. Yuck!! She seems fine other than the hole in her head, but I am wondering if the skin will heal over the skull??
sounds bad i would take her to a exotic animal vet! i do not know if they coud do anything though!

She is still in the house, but is doing really well. The hole is actually a bloody looking scab now. I am just afraid when I put her back out with the others that 1 peck to the head could probably kill her since there seemed to be missing skull and tissue so close to her brain. But for having a hole in her head she has acted like no big deal even upon finding her like that. She is getting very spoiled getting meal worms everyday and it has been in the 10 degrees here so I'm sure she loves being in the house! LOL

As long as she keeps eating and drinking, she should recover. I had a Hawk attack one of my chickens, torn the skin/feather right off, you could see her skull, kept Idodine on her. It took quite a while before she fully recovered, it created a scab the scab fell off and boom new skin grew back then her feathers. I had to keep her away from the others for quite a while even after all the feathers grew back. She was the weakest link of the group because she was away from them for sooo long. The major thing to worry about with head injuries is infections, as long as the wound is kept completely cleaned with no odor's, they can and should recover just fine.

Back
Top Bottom