Pullets rolling golf balls?

jackiejck

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Monterey Peninsula, CA
I have 5 pullets of various breeds that are 24 weeks old. No eggs have been laid yet. Several weeks ago I placed three golf balls in a nest box...in an effort to show them where to lay. In the last couple of days, I have found a few of the golf balls rolled from the nest box into the adjacent coop (underneath the roosts). Yesterday I moved the golf balls back into the nest box, since I don't want them to lay under the roosts. Why are the pullets doing this? Should I keep moving the golf balls back to the nest box or let them be?

My chickens did that too! What happened with mine, is when they were scratching around the straw, they would accidently kick the balls out of the boxes. Keep moving them back until they know where to lay their eggs. Because one of my gals kicked one of the balls to the back of the coop, and my BR laid her first egg in the back of the coop where the ball was! So she was a little confused, but she knows where to lay now! Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Sounds like they are fussing about in the nesting boxes. Good news for you! That means that laying is imminent. Enjoy those fresh eggs you'll be getting any time now.

Put in a clown with a big mouth and a windmill--maybe they're playing miniature golf.
lol.png
BTW, mine do the same thing even though they are laying where they're supposed to be. Have to get the balls over a 2-inch lip too.

mine did the same thing

first i saw them malingering upstairs in the coop, so i put the golf balls in the nest box (week 25) ---

next they were loitering near the nest boxes and rolling the golf balls out (week 27) ....

and then they were depositing eggs in the nest box to keep the gold balls company (week 29) ...

that is the general pattern --- malingering -> loitering -> contributing citizens of chicktopia

Last edited:
Thanks, everybody, for your wise and funny answers. Good news - this morning the Barred Rock laid the first egg! So happy! She had rolled the golf balls back into the nest box and there beside them was a perfect little egg.

Back
Top Bottom