Puncture Wound Won't Close

For reference if your temperatures are not too cold and you can bring her somewhere warm to dry a hose can be a great option to clean that wound. Absolutely don't close it. It will likely develop pus from the bacteria from the dog bite, this would look white or pale yellow and kind of cheesy. If that happens you must debride the wound removing the pus, chicken pus can't usuallybe squeezed out like human pus. For now keep it as clean as possible watch to make sure she doesn't dust bathe and pack it with dirt. I would apply triple antibiotic ointment daily and wash with sterile saline as needed. Don't continually use peroxide as it can damage and hinder healing tissue.

I have had good luck with using gentle iodine but have also heard that can be bad.

Good luck please keep us up to date. I think she will heal very well. You will want to watch that area to be sure feathers don't grow into the wound as she heals.

To me, it looks like it's still filling in and healing. The wound was quite deep from what I could tell from your first photo and it takes time to heal from the inside out.
If you are not noticing an odor and she is eating/drinking/active, then I would just keep an eye on it.
She may benefit from some extra protein a few times a week to give her a boost. Egg, tuna, meat, mackerel, etc. (in addition to her normal feed)

View attachment 1599488
Thank you. It seems like what is filling in is hard and larger than the original puncture. It seems to be pushing the skin apart rather than bring it together. I can feel the hard extension of it under her skin. I'm just worried in ed it won't heal and will eventually get infected.

Back
Top Bottom