Quail randomly ganging up on others. Why now? And what to do? **very graphic PICS on 1st post and page 2**

Echoes

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Utah
2 of my quails are being picked on by the rest. Theyve all lived together for around 2 weeks now with no problems. Went to feed them this morning and one over their heads was a bloody bald mess (pictured)!!! And the other has feathers missing around its throat with bloody wound (not pictured). The two being picked on are about 2.5 months and the others are around 3 months. Theyve all been fine these past few weeks until now.
I have separated the 2 from the other 5 in a brooder box for now.
Do the injured quail need to be culled? If not, how can i save them?
What else can I do moving forward?

Attachments

• 20220525_095806.jpg
    20220525_095806.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220525_095802.jpg
    20220525_095802.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220525_095801.jpg
    20220525_095801.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 10
I use water for the first cleaning, then an antiseptic wash. Make sure you use one that doesn't have pain killer since some of those are toxic to birds. If you want to be even more careful, you can put some Blue-cote on it after it's completely clean.

As long as it's kept clean, it will scab over and heal. Feathers may or may not grow back, but your bird should be fine.

Are all of your birds pharoahs? It is possible that the hens have gotten violent, but that usually happens when they're over crowded or running out of things like food or water.

I would start keeping an eye on the birds and start pulling out the bullies. You can try to rehabilitate them by keeping them isolated for a day or two then putting them back in. That will sometimes stop the bullying. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend inviting them to your table for dinner.

This injury looks kind of borderline to me, she could make it if you use some medical tape to reattach the skin over the wound. I would cull both if they aren't eating or drinking however. I would also cull that male as he is probably responsible for this. Scalpings are typically from a failed mating.

That sounds like enough space for 7 quail.

Yep, should all be Pharoahs....i think. But those 2 i hatched from eggs bought online so who knows. Definitely some shade of coturnix. When i went out there this morning and saw them they were definitely being picked on right infront of me. I was too concerned on getting them out so im not sure if it was just the male doing it or the hens...but I think it was multiple bullies.
Water and food was still in abundance when i went out. Not short supply at all.
😪

I would start keeping an eye on the birds and start pulling out the bullies. You can try to rehabilitate them by keeping them isolated for a day or two then putting them back in. That will sometimes stop the bullying. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend inviting them to your table for dinner.
That was gonna be my next step! I though also maybe the injured ones might not make it and consider eating them. Would really prefer them alive and making eggs though

Ive definitely seen people with more quail in this amount of space. But maybe it is crowded.? Its around 15 square feet (3.5ft by 4.5ft). And there is only 1 male.
The weird thing is theyve all been fine for like 2 weeks now

Back
Top Bottom