Quail stories! POWER OUTAGEšŸ˜±

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
Today there was a huge power outage in my area. It went from 7:30am to 3:15pm! At first I wasnā€™t worried, and put towels over my quail incubator, which had a day old quail baby, a quail egg that was hatching, one pipped egg and two externally pipped eggs.

All seemed well, but then disaster struck. I went to check on my eggs at around 10am, and was instantly shocked. The incubator was ice cold and the two chicks inside were shivering, huddling together for warmth. Furthermore, none of the eggs were moving or chirping anymore. I quickly unplugged the incubator from the useless power outlet and placed it carefully on the sitting room bench.

I grabbed towels and the hot water bottle from the laundry and carefully took the chicks and the eggs from the cold incubator and placed them on the tea towel. Then, I kickstarted the gas stove using a lighter and heated up some warm water for the hot water bottle. Once I had the hot water bottle, I placed it in a lidless container lined with towels and lowered the eggs into a corner, covering them in towel and the newly hatched quail in with the big one. For the rest of the power outage I stayed with them, reheating water again and again to keep the eggs and chicks warm. They snuggled up to my hand for extra warmth, and it was so cute! (Photos included)

Now, the eggs look promising and none of them were affected by the power outage too badly, and the baby quail are as cute as ever.

Attachments

• IMG_20230516_144733_01.jpg
    IMG_20230516_144733_01.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20230516_015552459.jpg
    PXL_20230516_015552459.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230516_022900920.jpg
    PXL_20230516_022900920.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 6
Did you get more eggs to hatch? We just had a power outage on day 16 and I am so heartbroken we had to shuffle them around and get so cold I'm scared none of them will hatch now
Hens do get off the nest for many hours and eggs go cold and still they have a decent hatch. So don't give up yet! Keep us posted on your hatch!

Did you get more eggs to hatch? We just had a power outage on day 16 and I am so heartbroken we had to shuffle them around and get so cold I'm scared none of them will hatch now
We had two more hatch, but one of them drowned itself soon after. Another one struggled to hatch and died after it was shrink wrapped, but that was my fault. I've learned alot since then.
They are all grown up now and living their best lives. I hope your birds are ok! Just try to keep them warm but not too warm.

How are the eggies today? :)
I've had 5 healthy 1 not so good and probably 5 that pipped but died after the first opening. After the power went out and I got it back on the whole thing steamed up and got into the electrical box so it was turning on and off again I am so shocked anything has survived its been a total mess, I just went to clean out my incubator and saw another chick pipping so maybe I'll get more but the environment has been so wacky

Back
Top Bottom