Question about Cornish X Rocks

WillowWoodsFarm

Songster
13 Years
Nov 17, 2010
New York
My family and I got some red sexlink chicks, white leghorns and 4 cornish rocks from TSC this spring. We planned on eating the cornish rocks but then we decided against it because they were so sweet (we should've just done it, lol). Now, I was just reading that they wont live more than a year and that their combs will start to turn purple a day or two before they are going to die. If this is the case, when I see their combs turn color, would they still be good to cull and eat?

Quote:
I'm sorry that you ended up wanting the keep the Cornish Xs, but your research is unfortunately correct. I would not wait until they get that far along, because it can affect the quality of the meat, and because I'm a bleeding heart who can't stand being even indirectly responsible for animal suffering.

By the time your birds have their combs turn colors, it's because they are slowly asphyxiating to death. Either by their own weight crushing their lungs and heart, or because the heart cannot fight the pressure on the arteries anymore, and can't circulate blood to satify body functions. This will cause color changes in the extremities, strokes, and death. This kind of immense stress absolutely can change the taste of the meat, as the body saturates itself with stress horomones, and/or starts to break down it's own tissues in a last bid survival attempt (when they're that far along, they usually can't even get up to eat, and start starving. The resulting attack on their tissues can cause clumps of fat to release into their bloodstream, and cause heart failure).

All in all, it seems like a not-awesome way to go to me. I personally feel that it's more humane to cull them at the recommended 8 to 9 weeks, before their bodies start to fail them. It also guarentees meat tenderness and taste.

I hope that helps. Sorry if it was tmi
sad.png

ohhhh...thats so sad
sad.png
I knew that their life span wasnt that long but had no idea that all of that would go on! Thank you for the information and no it wasnt too much. They are about 3 months now so I guess I better cull them soon. I wish I didnt get attached to them...I really do love them
hit.gif
I am ok with eating them, after all, that is why God put them here. Thanks again for the info, it is very much appreciated!

Quote:
They are definately loved and they know it! When it is their time, it will be sad but at least I know they were raised right and not in some horrible chicken mill or something! Thank you :0)

Back
Top Bottom