Question

cutiechick

Chirping
Apr 7, 2017
My chicks have been pipping in the middle of the egg. Only 4 made it. Is there something I can do to get a better hatch rate? Most of the chicks that died were fully formed but never pipped.

My chicks have been pipping in the middle of the egg. Only 4 made it. Is there something I can do to get a better hatch rate? Most of the chicks that died were fully formed but never pipped.

What are you running humidity at for the first 17 days? Fully formed chicks dying before hatch is usually a humidity issue.

Between 40-50 and at lockdown 60-65

Have you ever checked the hygrometer for accuracy? I prefer lower humidity, 30-35% and monitor air cells. There are people that hatch at higher successfully, but if you are not having success at those levels, I suggested dropping a bit and monitoring air cells. High humidity can also cause larger chicks that can't turn and will be malpositioned. I use this method for humidity: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

I'll try 35% this next batch bs hopefully I'll have more chicks
1f60a.png
on what days do you check air cells? I'm going to try not to candle too much but I'm just so curious!

I'll try 35% this next batch bs hopefully I'll have more chicks
1f60a.png
on what days do you check air cells? I'm going to try not to candle too much but I'm just so curious!

For purpose of monitoring air cells, days 7/14/18.
However, I personally am a candling addict, so I pretty much candle daily...lol

So it's not bad candling them often? Some say to handle them as little as possible

I'm a hands on hatcher so I don't follow the hands off methods or policies. Candling doesn't hurt them unless you drop them or are handling them with filthy dirty hands and somehow rub bacterias or oils into the pores.

Back
Top Bottom