Questionable symptoms in newborn chicks, 4 died, 1 left. Please help ASAP!

Keep the chickens away from it while you use it, and cover it well with the litter you will be using. Also use a dust mask yourself!

Thank you! I’ll google it, but as an experienced DE user do you have any suggestion on how much to actually use? And is just sprinkling it enough? Maybe I will need to use a dust mask each time in the future cleaning it out then? And how long should it take to kill off the mites or what I really want to know is when it would be safe to put reunited mama and babe back in there?

Thank you! I’ll google it, but as an experienced DE user do you have any suggestion on how much to actually use? And is just sprinkling it enough? Maybe I will need to use a dust mask each time in the future cleaning it out then? And how long should it take to kill off the mites or what I really want to know is when it would be safe to put reunited mama and babe back in there?
It depends on how bad the infestation is as to whether it will kill them all. You may need stronger stuff, like permethrin. And if you see dust when you left clean it out, grab the dust mask.

As for how long to wait, at least a few days. And you need to catch everyone and give them a dose of Ivermectin. It's just a few drops on the back of the neck, and done. Generally, it's best to do that at night, when everyone is settled into bed.

It depends on how bad the infestation is as to whether it will kill them all. You may need stronger stuff, like permethrin. And if you see dust when you left clean it out, grab the dust mask.

I only ever remember seeing mites in the nesting box but who knows, they are tiny. I’ll do some inspecting tomorrow and will just sprinkle as needed maybe all over inside the coop as preventative method. Unfortunately because our walls of the coop are all wire mesh mites could easily be right outside and come in, I do know a lot of the wild chickens have mites and it’s not easy for me to catch and treat them unfortunately. Maybe I’ll sprinkle along the outside of the coop as well. I just know a lot of the wild chickens like to scratch around there

As for how long to wait, at least a few days. And you need to catch everyone and give them a dose of Ivermectin. It's just a few drops on the back of the neck, and done. Generally, it's best to do that at night, when everyone is settled into bed.
Awesome I will do, thank you! I unfortunately won’t be able to treat the wild chickens who are also always around but at least it’ll help with my girls and at least while the baby is so small and vulnerable. I’m wondering if I shouldn’t let the other hens sleep in the coop for the next couple weeks or so for this reason as well as to get rid of any extra stress for mama hen..

I just had this thought... what if mama still has mites on her? Is this a big issue if there is still a mite here and there? Should I treat her with DE before putting her in a crate with the chick if so? I haven’t inspected her closely but I’m thinking / hoping the mites aren’t too bad on her or on her at all... I’m sure she’s given herself some great dust baths over the last couple days with all the free time on her hands!

I just had this thought... what if mama still has mites on her? Is this a big issue if there is still a mite here and there? Should I treat her with DE before putting her in a crate with the chick if so? I haven’t inspected her closely but I’m thinking / hoping the mites aren’t too bad on her or on her at all... I’m sure she’s given herself some great dust baths over the last couple days with all the free time on her hands!
Don't actually use DE at all...Get a Dusting powder. Totally clean Coop and sprinkle on Roosts under bedding along all edges...Treat all Birds. Are you sure Momma is even infested?...

Back
Top Bottom