Quiet Roosters?

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hello! There is probably a thread on this somewhere but I couldn't find one matching my exact questions. I have a flock of about 9 laying hens. I let them free range around my property and haven't had any problems YET. However, I have about 3-4 local eagles constantly flying over my coop, and even more red-tail hawks. There are also many raccoons and coyotes in the area. My chickens have managed to stay safe for now, but I am worried these hawks will find my flock soon enough. So I have heard that roosters will keep an eye out for predators (specifically hawks), and get the hens back to the safety of the coop. However, I am trying to find (if it exists) a rooster possibly less loud than the typical rooster. All my surrounding neighbors have roosters, I enjoy the sound of them off in the distance but maybe not adjacent to my house:gig. Also, I know many roosters can be aggressive and have done plenty of research on my own but am curious if anybody had any experience with a generally less aggressive breed of chicken. Anyways, thank you!

So I have heard that roosters will keep an eye out for predators
All chickens keep an eye out for predators and give warnings including top hens! :)

Adding a "rooster" is just asking for a different host of issues if you don't plan to do any hatching, breeding, or eating of them, in my experience. Though a good rooster is a value for sure!

Different roosters even of the same breed have different crows and different tones/pitches to them, as well as differences in frequency (how often or obsessively) and intensity (volume).

I'll take a loud, low pitched, solid, large fowl rooster sound over a lower in volume but (often bantam) high pitched, make me wanna choke myself noise.. any day of the week.

Crow is even something worth selecting for.. something more pleasing to the ear is a worthy goal!

Game birds or those animals bred to fight each other tend to be less human aggressive. They may even have other intriguing values (some have sat on eggs).

I have had good luck with many Marans compared to other breeds I've kept. I also think breeder birds where they select for demeanor MAY give a better outcome than hatchery birds that are bred for quantity over quality..

And one final mention.. although a proven rooster would be the nicest choice.. bio-security is a highly held cause for concern.

For that reason, I MIGHT consider adding in a group next spring to include a cockerel along with some new layers to sustain through next winter when molt hits these 9 month ladies.. The the hens might be able to teach him some manners as he comes up.. and if you need the room, sell off a couple of these ladies late spring with disclosure so their new family gets plenty eggs before molt sets in.. keeping back your favorites and getting to try some more!

All chickens keep an eye out for predators and give warnings including top hens! :)

Adding a "rooster" is just asking for a different host of issues if you don't plan to do any hatching, breeding, or eating of them, in my experience. Though a good rooster is a value for sure!

Different roosters even of the same breed have different crows and different tones/pitches to them, as well as differences in frequency (how often or obsessively) and intensity (volume).

I'll take a loud, low pitched, solid, large fowl rooster sound over a lower in volume but (often bantam) high pitched, make me wanna choke myself noise.. any day of the week.

Crow is even something worth selecting for.. something more pleasing to the ear is a worthy goal!

Game birds or those animals bred to fight each other tend to be less human aggressive. They may even have other intriguing values (some have sat on eggs).

I have had good luck with many Marans compared to other breeds I've kept. I also think breeder birds where they select for demeanor MAY give a better outcome than hatchery birds that are bred for quantity over quality..

And one final mention.. although a proven rooster would be the nicest choice.. bio-security is a highly held cause for concern.

For that reason, I MIGHT consider adding in a group next spring to include a cockerel along with some new layers to sustain through next winter when molt hits these 9 month ladies.. The the hens might be able to teach him some manners as he comes up.. and if you need the room, sell off a couple of these ladies late spring with disclosure so their new family gets plenty eggs before molt sets in.. keeping back your favorites and getting to try some more!
Thank you! This is of great help. It is also good to know the hens will look out for themselves okay.

Strange as it might sound, in my experience the least human aggressive roosters have been American game fowl. They are generally not quiet but not particularly noisy.

Back
Top Bottom