Raising and caring for ducklings

Our ducklings poop even in the 'no-poop' waterers. They climb on top and let it rain, heh! We have week-old ducklings (bought them as day-olds, freshly hatched) and they are thriving, gaining and not showing signs of sickness or low energy. We change the water 4-5x a day, but it's not exactly spotless in between changes. They seem to be doing ok.

You mentioned above that ducklings can sometimes have medicated feed. I have Purina Sunfresh Start & Grow Medicated, is that ok for ducklings? What makes medicated feed bad for them?
As Amiga said, the meds that used to be used in feed were dangerous for ducklings. The medication was toxic to ducks as it was made for chicks. These days, at least in the US, the medication in chick starter is okay for ducklings.

BUT, the medication in feed is used to treat coccidia. Ducklings and ducks will RARELY get coccidia unless kept in filthy conditions. Ducks have a higher body temp than chickens and therefore many bugs/viruses are killed. Many, myself included, feel that there is no reason to medicate without reason. Why bother medicating for something that is unlikely to be a problem.

I have had to feed medicated in a pinch when my local store had no unmedicated available. Luckliy, my local store is now ordering in alot of unmedicated starter (I used to have to call every week on Monday to order my feed for Friday) because since they are carrying it, others are buying it.

Last edited:
Very happy news, Baymule!

Find niacin capsules, not no-flush, not timed-release, not tablets. Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks recommends for ducklings showing signs of deficiency, to use 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water for several weeks.

We don't have a hard and fast concentration for preventative measures, but I would want at least 50 mg per gallon, and would likely myself go with 100 mg per gallon for the first 8 weeks.

Some folks sprinkle brewer's yeast on the food. That is less precise, but they report that the ducklings do well with that approach. According to this web site, http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1323569/2 brewer's yeast has a number of other nutrients in it as well, and ducklings can also have thiamine deficiencies. That is another B vitamin. I have heard some use B Complex, not just the straight niacin.

We all do the best we can with what we have, and I think that gives rise to many different ways of caring for our animals.

We have had GPyr/Anatolian X and Great Pyrenees.  I would say neither the X or the purebred are aggressive toward people to the point of eating strangers:)   Allusive to strangers yes, but not biters.  These dogs are bred to guard and protect, not attack.  Their bark is their weapon.  It says... "I'm over here, I'm BIG and you better get away from my zone."  Both breeds are prone to food/food bowl aggression.  I've worked with Pyrs through rescue and the one negative I've seen is if you don't start with them as puppies, they do tend to wander and roam.  A lot of them end up in rescue because of this:(  

Thanks for the information. I want a dog that will eat stray dogs (my #1 PITA) and other predators for lunch and warn but not attack strangers - unless they are doing something wrong. I don't ask for much huh? LOL

I start on that food agression (at least towards me) from the time they are babies. I feed them by hand, stand close close and mess with them while they eat, take their bowl away then give it back, stick my hand in their bowl, etc - anything I can think of. Sounds crazy but it has always worked over the past 40-something years and lots of dogs.

Last edited:
Can anyone please tell me the breed or approximate age of these ducklings? They're my new babies and I got them yesterday from a friend who was allergic to them ! I also have a male and female duck ( 6 months old) that live outside ( the little ones will live inside until their feathers come in)
Can I introduce them? Will the big ones try to hurt the babies ??
Thanks for your help !!!

Yesterday they were ore black/ yellow, today they seem more brownish...is that possible ?
They lo ok like me old Campbells. They are under 3 weeks for sure. Yes the older ducks will prob hurt them.

Any other thoughts???

Back
Top Bottom