Raising Mallard Ducklings

Last edited:
Hi all!
I made it up to the feed store today and the woman working this afternoon has ducks herself and helped me a lot. While they didn't carrier the Purina brand of flock starter, she recommended me a commercial game bird diet. I also picked up a tub of brewers yeast but the commercial diet actually has cultures yeast in it as well. She also said this sounded like a niacin deficiency. I'm hoping getting him on the right diet helps. He hung out in the yard for a bit today and I've noticed he sort of walks like a diabetic cat--low on his haunches. But this was also in a grassy area that was a little high and wet. But now I'm super paranoid his legs are screwy and I didn't but pay close enough attention to them when he first came to me..:(
Also hauling up that tank from the basement this evening for a little more room for the guy :)

So I woke up very very early this morning very sick..I have been back and forth asleep, trying to eee my doctor. I left some of the crumbles and mealworms in his cat crate early this morning like I usually do while I'm getting ready for work and when I got up to use the bathroom about two hours ago he was peeping at me. I just got up again about ten minutes ago and he's dead. I am truly heartbroken. I don't know what I did wrong or if I missed something this morning. I truthfully wasn't paying a ton of attention because of being sick. But he seemed normal. He was totally normal last night. I feel like I really failed him, and I'm so, so sad because I really loved my little guy.

Last edited:
So I woke up very very early this morning very sick..I have been back and forth asleep, trying to eee my doctor. I left some of the crumbles and mealworms in his cat crate early this morning like I usually do while I'm getting ready for work and when I got up you're the bathroom about two hours ago he was peeping at me. I just got up again about ten minutes ago and he's dead. I am truly heartbroken. I don't know what I did wrong or if I missed something this morning. I truthfully wasn't paying a ton of attention because of being sick. But he seemed normal. He was totally normal last night. I feel like I really failed him, and I'm so, so sad because I really loved my little guy.
:hugsdon't blame yourself! You did your best and give him a good chance that he wouldn't have had if you hadn't taken him in. These things happen and it very well could have been an issue you couldn't have foreseen. So sorry you went through all the trouble just to lose the little fellow. :hugs
At least now you have some good experience under your belt when you get in a place you can get some ducklings you will know exactly what to do!

I'm so sorry the duckling passed. :hugs
And I'm sorry you're sick...that doesn't help anything.

@shawluvsbirds has made good points. The duckling may have been damaged from the chlorine. Who knows what happened when the ducklings were on their own. It's very hard to say.

You did your very best for the little fellow and you went above and beyond. He was a very fortunate duckling to have been cared for and loved by you.:hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom