Rehome a call duck

Pics

Verolivia

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2019
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a new home for my beautiful male call duck. I had a wonderful flock of call ducks in a variety of colors and l loved them dearly but last week, tragically, I lost them all but one. A lynx attack my flock during the night and I woke to find only one alive in my partially frozen pond. I am absolutely devastated and heartbroken but I realize that I cannot keep him caged all alone for the remainder of the winter even if it is to keep him safe. I know that he needs to be with other ducks, preferably females, so that he can recover from his ordeal and be happy again. I live in Massachusetts, close to the NH border and am looking for a loving family for him. This is probably the best place to get in touch with other people who, like me, love these precious little ducks. Let me know if anyone is interested, thank you.

An update on Webster: He’s being a bit of a pain in the butt! On days when they get outside their run, he instantly flies over the garage to my other flock, which is fine. But over there he fights with my 5 year old mallard, Polo. He’s clearly trying to take his place in the flock. They fend Webster off, for a while but then Polo goes off by himself. I think he gets tired. I hate to do it, but I think I’m going to have to clip a wing to keep Webster on his side. There’s just scuffles, no missing feathers yet, but he seems to upset the other flock. Other than that, he’s good. He’s feisty, eats, drinks, and preens like he should.

Hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to give an update on Webster. He’s doing great! Sadly we lost our 5 yr old partially blind pekin, Marco, in March to an apparent heart attack. He had an eye removed in February, and was recovering very well. Then the next day we lost Polo, our mallard to a hawk. We have a new policy of no ducks out of their pens, without someone present. Webster became Ruby’s official boyfriend. Watching them mate is pretty funny. We never had to clip his wings. He flies a little, but has no intentions of leaving! Here he is posing a few days ago.
His nickname is apricot pancake (because of his flat shape) and little beep beep, because of his distinctive quack.
7DB7AD1A-F060-4C6E-A366-23B9B95F5EE1.png
We tried to unsuccessfully hatch Marco/Ruby eggs when covid first hit. Work was slow, and I had a lot of free time to dedicate to ducklings. I went to TSC in NH and bought 2 pekin ducklings, ended up with a boy and a girl. We introduced them to Ruby and Webs early on. Now they’re grown, and share a run with Ruby and Webster. We may have to change things up next spring, but right now they’re the best of friends. I’m going to print this picture and put it in their house. It’s their family portrait!
7B5DF0DC-5A0B-4E60-8302-0048D0C28D3F.jpeg

L-R Daphne, Sir Francis Drake, Ruby, Webster

Hard to believe they’re the same ducklings I had in Zoom meetings with friends!
79FBC390-39A1-4E00-8ED1-4A9DF106ACC4.jpeg

I hope everyone is healthy and happy. Better days ahead!

I just wanted to say @thumper650 , you are a super awesome person! :bow
Thanks! You’re too kind. I love everyone on this board, you think I’m nice for taking in ducks, there’s a few people in my life who think I’m nuts for doing it!

If the boys give him a hard time, I can make him a separate place and get him a girlfriend in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom