Rescued baby bird, UPDATE!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Here's the deal. Took a little baby bird away from Killer Kitty a little while ago. Just checked on it after letting it "chill" for a bit. No obvious injuries. It's moving around fine and can obtain limited flight, about 3 feet off the ground for short distances. It's fully feathered out, but it's wings are much bigger than the rest of it. Really pretty little thing, but I have no idea what kind. Smaller than a newly hatched standard chick.
It's resting in a plastic tote on the screened porch, in pine shavings, with a waterer and some chick starter.
Now what to do with it? It was my first instinct to rescue it from Kitty, but maybe I should have let her finish it off. I only know the approximate location of where she caught it, as it was after dark. I do know where there's a nest not far from where she found it.
So do I keep it for a few days or put it in that nest that I believe has been abandoned by it's original owners in the morning?
I already know about practicing good bio-security and will make sure to wash up well and change clothes before going back around my chickens.

Last edited:
Chances are the mother will not accept it back into the nest. Especially if it has picked up your scent. At least that is what my grandmother says.
hmm.png

Do you have pictures? Might be able to identify it.

Is the bird a chicken or wild bird? If it is wild then here is what i can tell you. You can't return it to the nest because your scent is on it and the parents will regect it. In Maine, were I live, there is a place called Spark's Ark that takes in wild animals that have been hurt, orphaned,etc. Maybe there is a place like that near you. Just do something soon, because they don't last long.
fl.gif

Quote:
That's what I always heard too. One thing I did read not too long ago, if you must handle a wild creature rub vanilla extract on your hands first. The vanilla scent covers up the human scent.
Punky, it's a wild bird. Based on the coloring of it's head, I'm thinking chickadee.
Oh well, it's on the porch for the night. I'll figure out what to do about it in the morning I guess.

It is a complete misconception that birds will smell the scent and reject the chick. It's also not true for wild baby rabbits either. Put the baby back whre it came from honestly that's the best thing to do.

"Baby Bird Myth
Myth: If you find a baby bird, you can't return it to the nest because the parent will smell your human scent and reject the chick.

Reality: Most birds have a poor sense of smell. Place the bird back in the nest. If it's learning to fly and continues to fall out of the nest, keep people and pets away for a day or so until it gets the hang of it."

Thanks monarc, that's what I'll do first thing in the morning. I'd do it tonight but alas, I'm short and the nest is really up there.
I just checked on the little thing again. I'm using a blue penlight to check on it so as not to disturb it anymore than I have to. That's what I use with my chickens at night. It's appears to be sleeping with it's head tucked under it's wing.
So skip the vanilla treatment huh?

i agree, it is a myth. It might very well be that the bird is a fledgling - meaning it is just learning to fly. People will often times find these young birds on the ground and think they need to be rescued. They do not. Best thing you can do is keep it safe and warm overnight. If you feed it anything, best bet are worms, not seed (of course, depending on the bird). Then return it to the spot you found it. The parents are probably there looking for it.

If you can post a picture someone might be able to help more?

nope dont need the vanilla and you are very welcome! I'm glad you rescued it from the kitty cat they can be such brats! LOL! However, yep first thing in the morning put it back in the nest and just like what i quoted said if it flies back out...just somehow try to keep killer kitty away so the bird has a fighting chance at life.
smile.png

I'll keep Killer in the house tomorrow. She's become a part-time house cat anyhow since we started free-ranging the chickens. Yes, my chickens are three times as big as her but that hasn't deterred her yet. She also drags home huge rats that are bigger than she is. Drops the rats by the back door and then buries her face in her always full bowl of meow mix. Psycho cat.
roll.png

Monarc is completely correct!

Good job on rescuing the baby!! When they are fledglings, they hop out of the nest a lot, so if you can keep your kitty away for a bit, the little bird will be just fine!

Back
Top Bottom