Respiratory infection?

So, now one of my Easter eggers has a swollen eye. She was breathing fine though.
Sorry for the bad quality picture
IMG_4228.JPG

Did your cockerel recover completely? No more discharge, sneezing, congestion, mucous?

The EE, I would keep watch on her at the moment. You can flush the eye with saline to see if that helps.

Bubbles in the eyes and facial swelling could be an indication of respiratory disease.

It's hard to know what's going on with your flock. It seems that your symptoms come and go. Respiratory issues can be caused by a number of things - dry dusty bedding and feed, poor ventilation, molds, ammonia from feces and respiratory disease are a few of the more common causes.

Check to make sure that there is plenty of ventilation in the coop (window/vents open), check to see if there is any moldy areas in the coop/run and that feed is fresh (not moldy - this time of year feed molds quickly).

If her symptoms get worse or she develops mucous coming from the nostrils, sneezing, coughing, etc., then it may be appropriate to treat with antibiotics. Keep in mind that antibiotics will only treat secondary infections and not cure respiratory disease. Depending on your chicken keeping goals (selling/trading/giving away hatching eggs, chicks, etc.) it may be best to have some testing performed to know what you are dealing with.

See that she is drinking well, offer some poultry vitamins in the water for a few days.

Keep us posted.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you! He recovered 100%. I think his problem was dust. The next day, I cleaned the coop out and he was fine after that. I know there is plenty of ventilation because I keep the human door open during the day and 2 windows open at all times. I don't think the feed is moldy because I just bought it and I never buy any food over 4 weeks old. But I will check in the morning. Do you think I should separate her? Just to be sure she is drinking? Or leave her with the flock? She really does not like to be handled or touched. I will keep an eye out for any more swelling or mucus.

You may want to leave her be, especially if she would have be anxious being separated. Stress can make respiratory illnesses worse. If she declines or becomes lethargic, then take her out.

And btw... hi neighbor! :frow
I'm in the nc mountains as well!

:frow:frow:frow HI!

Yep! You are higher up in the mountains than me!

Seeing where you are located is why I told you to check your feed/coop. Mold can grow so quickly in the feed hoppers this time of year it's unbelievable. I usually only put out about a day's worth during the summer. With the humidity, crumbles seem to just absorb the moisture and swell up as well.

Wow! I had no idea! I assumed that since it's so much cooler up here, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. Thank you for telling me that! I will have to keep an eye out. So, I went out to feed them and check on her this morning, and it had gotten worse. She could keep her eye open, but not well. There were no bubbles that I saw and her nose was clear. I could tell she didn't feel well because she let me pet her. That is usually a big no-no. I dug through the old medicine stuff and found some saline packets, so later today I will flush her eye out and see if that helps her any at all. I noticed she was scratching it and shaking her head, so it is probably not very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom