Ribh's D'Coopage

I don't know Ribh. Every now and then Tribe 1 breaks out into a massive shouting which sounds a bit like a general alarm call but it seems to be something else. It's a bit like the collective purr. I have no idea what that's about either. In mid purr, they won't even stop for walnuts!!
I love the collective purr. 😍 When I checked on them the other night all 14 of them were in full throttle. They barely noticed me. It was lovely. Such happy chookies.

I love the collective purr. 😍 When I checked on them the other night all 14 of them were in full throttle. They barely noticed me. It was lovely. Such happy chookies.

I love the collective purr too - but I have no idea what it means - it just seems to be 'happiness' - I don't think that is me overly interpreting because it is certainly a peaceful thing.

I love the collective purr too - but I have no idea what it means - it just seems to be 'happiness' - I don't think that is me overly interpreting because it is certainly a peaceful thing.
I often hear it once they've stopped fighting over the roosting arrangements & have settled for the night. It is certainly a peaceful sound.

Tribe 2 are the main purrers. It's such a strange thing to observe. One second they're going about their business, then one starts the purr and the others stop whatever it is that they are doing and stand stock still and join in. Tehy stop and freeze like this in some really exposed places.:confused:

Tribe 2 are the main purrers. It's such a strange thing to observe. One second they're going about their business, then one starts the purr and the others stop whatever it is that they are doing and stand stock still and join in. Tehy stop and freeze like this in some really exposed places.:confused:
Yes. And I've no idea what sets it off. Maybe it's a group bonding thing? :idunno

This is Tribe 2 and this area is their favorite purr spot.
I took these pics to show the eating arrangements.
This lot generally eat first.
P5313746.JPG

Lock, the blond hen joins in while Mag at the top keeps watch.
P5313751.JPG

Mag eats last and more often than not with Lock. There is something special in the relationship these two have. Mag is by far the most aggressive of the now three males and seems to be responsible for tribe discipline. Mag and lock fight, but Mag makes sure he doesn't strike Lock. You can see them both up in the air and Mags feet are always in the defensive position. Her legs are improving slowly which is excellent. A strange thing is Mags legs went through a similar stage. They were a complete mess. One leg was so bad the spur didn't grow properly. I had to carefully scrape the spur after treatment and while it took a couple of moths to sort out his legs are almost normal now.
P5313753.JPG

This is Tribe 2 and this area is their favorite purr spot.
I took these pics to show the eating arrangements.
This lot generally eat first.
View attachment 2170520
Lock, the blond hen joins in while Mag at the top keeps watch.
View attachment 2170522
Mag eats last and more often than not with Lock. There is something special in the relationship these two have. Mag is by far the most aggressive of the now three males and seems to be responsible for tribe discipline. Mag and lock fight, but Mag makes sure he doesn't strike Lock. You can see them both up in the air and Mags feet are always in the defensive position. Her legs are improving slowly which is excellent. A strange thing is Mags legs went through a similar stage. They were a complete mess. One leg was so bad the spur didn't grow properly. I had to carefully scrape the spur after treatment and while it took a couple of moths to sort out his legs are almost normal now.
View attachment 2170526
It's a bit beside the point but every time you post pictures of the chickens on these steps I am struck by how wonderfully the hedging frames the shot & throws the girls into focus! I love these shots! 😍 I love the bond Mag & Lock have.

My 2 older Campines are growing quite long spurs. Do I just leave them be? I'm a little leery of them as they seem to be quite sharp.

It's a bit beside the point but every time you post pictures of the chickens on these steps I am struck by how wonderfully the hedging frames the shot & throws the girls into focus! I love these shots! 😍 I love the bond Mag & Lock have.

My 2 older Campines are growing quite long spurs. Do I just leave them be? I'm a little leery of them as they seem to be quite sharp.
I leave them on the hens. I do file the points round on the males and make sure the spurs are smooth. I do this because I've had a couple of hens with cuts under their wings through mating when the rooster slides off.

I leave them on the hens. I do file the points round on the males and make sure the spurs are smooth. I do this because I've had a couple of hens with cuts under their wings through mating when the rooster slides off.
Ok. Thanks. If I get too worried about them I'll file. I didn't think hens got such long ones ~ & certainly no~one else has. :( Campines! 🙄

Back
Top Bottom