Ribh's D'Coopage

How about a Caturday bonus especially for all you Aussies?

Last weekend we bought Eve some new toys to keep at our house and she was playing with them on the ottoman....
20210808_125233.jpg

When Davis decided to join her.

20210808_125343.jpg

CHOOK of the Week:
Portia.
20210423_115946.jpg

Portia is a frizzled Silver Laced Wyandotte.
Wyandottes are spectacular looking birds anyway. Frizzled they are just outstanding. She is still growing so will be a very, very big girl when she is done.

Amongst the very 1st chickens I got was a Wyandotte bantam. She was a sweetie & so I have kept a soft spot in my heart for these lovely ladies. Having said that there is no getting round the fact these standard ladies have a very high opinion of themselves & they are not usually to be found on the bottom of any pecking order. Despite Portia, & her younger GLWF, being amongst the youngest & newest birds they are both quite high up the pecking order & top roost sleepers. Portia used to take great delight in chasing the Vorwerks around the yard. Unhappily for her they can fly & she can not.:lol: Like Lavender before her, any bird wanting to take on Portia thinks twice before doing it. She can easily double her size when she puffs up & all that frizzling can look hugely intimidating! She isn't mean. She doesn't need to be. Her sheer size means she usually gets things her own way.

The Wyandotte is an All~American breed originating in N.Y & hugely popular because they come in a seemingly endless variety of colours. I am partial to the Silver; the man likes the Golds. We have one of each @ present plus a couple of bantams. They are a dual purpose bird supossedly prone to broodiness ~ certainly my bantams are!

From my POV they are fantastic because they are not the most prolific of layers ~ so not a high production breed. They lay around 200 eggs a year ~ which isn't bad, & means they are less prone to reproductive issues. They do well confined or free ranged & one of their more endearing characteristics is a thoaty honking voice. None of mine are flighty & are fairly easily handled though as with any chicken you have to put in the time if you want them super friendly. I'm happy to be tolerated without being screamed @ & attacked.

Portia is a one of a kind in my flock. Her breeder sister is a Golden Frizzle. The closest to what she looks like is Olivia, a Belgian D'Uccle, & they have a very sweet friendship.
20201229_074209 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom