Ribh's D'Coopage

She not 1 yet Bob. This is her first laying season. Her first eggs were small but had a nice firm shell. I know she was eating heaps of grit. She used to really chow down on it. Now...:idunno

Are you using layer feed with extra calcium or do you only use supplementary calcium that they eat when they want?

Hepzibah is considering going broody on me again. :rolleyes:
I got her trilling purr & Big Fluff when I went to remove the egg she was hogging.
She's one of the one's Lavender plucked bare. I thought it might cool her broody tendencies. She was quite awful last year ~ but, nope! :rant
View attachment 1983982

If you had a rooster you would have a 1,000 chickens in no time. Those girls are feeling their biological clocks big time.

The idea of living by myself on an inland or mountain top is sounding better and better every day. The holidays are a rough time for me. I've tried to make them better for the kids, but then I just stress about money and I end up disliking the entire season all over again.

Any way...we've had lots of rain, freezing rain, and even snow lately. Nothing is staying completely frozen though so we have mud, lots and lots of mud. My poor little whites look more like little browns right now.:gig

I also managed to get a few more roosting shots. Stanley my barred rock is really filling out nicely. His favorite girl Gertrude is going to need a saddle. @Kris5902 did you have a pattern that you used? I'm going to have to make one this weekend.

Of course PICTURES!!! :lau

View attachment 1983989 View attachment 1983990 View attachment 1983991

I love the roosts. You have a beautiful flock.

Two things I think. The poor girl can't get airborne @ all. Her weight [she's a heavy girl] & her inability to get her weight airborne means she has difficulty, not just getting over the doorstep but also up onto the roosts! I need to lower the roosts for her. We have it in mind ~ just a time thing. Lottie, for all she's tinier, has no trouble @ all because she can fly.

Maybe a step so she can get out is in order. That was rough. I had to put in a step to the roost for Hattie. I do think I will lower the roost in the spring. It is still at leghorn height. My current girls are bigger.

If you had a rooster you would have a 1,000 chickens in no time. Those girls are feeling their biological clocks big time.
I can't! :( :rolleyes: I have council restrictions. I have space restrictions. I am maxed out on the animals I am allowed ~ except for dogs. I don't do dogs. They like me but I find them way too much!

Are you using layer feed with extra calcium or do you only use supplementary calcium that they eat when they want?
Pretty sure there's calcium in her feed but I would have to check to be sure. Shad had some good ideas. I'm heading out to our little nursery shortly as that's who supplies my grit but I will have to wait till after Christmas now for the produce store if I want [& can get] a supplement.

Maybe a step so she can get out is in order. That was rough. I had to put in a step to the roost for Hattie. I do think I will lower the roost in the spring. It is still at leghorn height. My current girls are bigger.
Yeah, I was thinking that too, Bob. I often have to help her up onto a roost because that first jump is a little higher than the others. It was done to make cleaning easier but another few inches lower won't make it that much more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom