Ribh's D'Coopage

That's what I was worried about MJ. I'm a briber with POLs. They simply can't resist a tasty mealworm. Chicks probably can't either but whether they should have them or not... :idunno
I remember now, mine weren't interested in any treat for a couple of months and they hated me. I remember feeling quite upset.
They were entirely uninterested in mealy worms. But the ones I had were dried.
So I got a small pot of live ones and offered them all wriggling on my hand. They became my instant BFFs!

They would be eating bugs if they were with their mama!
Exactly. Fat is also an essential part of building cells. They will need some in a balanced diet. I'm sure their feed has some in it. Chick feed here has a minimum of 20% protein and 3% fat. 20 % fat in meal worms is very high but if it is balanced out with some no fat treats their diet won't go out of balance. It is all about balance. Too much of anything is bad and shifting their diet too much in one direction is also not good.

I'm sure people may think I give too many treats but I try to balance out the diet. I don't believe that I have fat hens. :confused: I tease Aurora but she is mean and needs teased.

I got Tsuki, Deana and Zen at a few days old too.

I brought them home in a cat crate with a wire door and popped them on the floor in the lounge room while I put fresh water in their dog crate brooder.

Well, I was gone for less than a minute and heard loud peeping. One of the chicks had squeezed through the bars on the door and was starting to explore the lounge room. This wouldn't have been too worrying if the cats hadn't started to take an interest....

I got them into the brooder quick smart after that.

No prizes for guessing who the escape artist was.

Yes, it was Tsuki. She was nick named Houdini for a while.
I live that girl. Their personalities emerge so quickly. Here was Jabberwocky as a chick. He broke out of the brooder through the roof at 4 weeks old I believe. Jabber was trying to tell me something about his personality. Luckily for me Davis was there to keep track of him for me. That cat won't harm any animal. He is a big old softie.
20201205_082223.jpg

He was T-Rex posing for me at a week old. How naive I was to think he was a pullet for so long. 🙄
20201205_082249.jpg

Woohoo! Congratulations Little Princesses and RC. First eggs are soooo exciting!:clap:celebrate

That was so well written RC. I could just picture the grumpy stomping and slamming of doors. 😄
I'm glad your girls could cheer you up on a rotten day.💗
I agree. That was well written. I was stomping along with you. Nice job. :thumbsup

Taking @drstratton 's advice I took time this afternoon to handle several of my new girls.
Desdemona was first ~ & the calmest by far! There was a little thrumming through her body but she settled & chirped & chirruped.

View attachment 2437472
Ceres wasn't impressed @ all.

View attachment 2437473

An Olivia was just panicked.

View attachment 2437474

And this is why they have to be able to be handled. Little cuddle puddles all over the pen as the sun went down. I had to hoy everyone into the coop. I will open the door a bit later on as 1/2 the nutters headed straight back out. The coop is much safer than the run.

View attachment 2437475
They are just beyond adorable. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom