Ribh's D'Coopage

There are gradients of color but the RIR only comes in red. The feathers of the RIR range from a lustrous deep red to almost black and the tail is mostly black.

There is a New Hampshire Red that was developed from the RIR in 1915. They are also red but lighter than RIRs sometimes including yellow feathers. While RIRs can have either single or rose combs, NHRs only have single combs. While the RIR is a egg producing breed, the NHR is a dual purpose breed, has a deeper broader body. Even so the NHR does come in standard and bantam.

I say this to point out that a lighter colored feather on a single comb RIR could be confused with a NHR until you look at the body characteristics. The NHR is significantly larger.

The other hen that is frequently confused with RIRs is the Production Red. True RIRs are very dark in color with the black tail and neck feathers. Production Reds tend to be lighter in color and frequently will have white feathers because they have been cross bred with, of all things, white leghorns, to increase egg production. They will have a slighter build than RIRs because of this as well.
Bob what’s your thoughts on my Little Red? He came in a batch is Sasso Meat Hybrids, which includes some NHR or RIR in the lines, but was nothing like the others in the batch of Chicks. He was different even as a day old in colour and pattern. I wish I had taken more pictures of them as chicks. Color is more lime RIR, but the body type is more ‘robust’?

you are a good person RC. I have property in DC , British Columbia Canada, Calif. and Cabo Mexico. But my beloved chickens are here with me in CA.
So maybe we are closer to neighbors than I thought? LOL, you’re going to have to let me know where in BC own... that fish mix air drop is looking more and more promising! ;)

Looks green on my PC monitor too, but I didn't like to say anything, Alex being a pilot and all.😉
🤫 It really was green.... :lol:
I’m really late here, I know... but I got teal* on my phone, which is a blue/green. I Agree that red in comments looks angry, but in a markup/editing situation agree it can’t be beat for contrast. It reminds me of my very first post when my first hatch went awry, I had screwed some stuff up, and someone commented very abruptly (but correctly) in all red Caps... I didn’t take it very well, being already quite distraught at having accidentally drowned too many eggs/chicks. The repetition bluntly of what I did wrong in red caps was a hurtful slap in the face.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am a terrible sucker for pretty birds. I will opt for pretty over egg capacity any day. No, I'm not the super practical sort. 😁
We've got similar preferences except I'd rather have larger hens than bantams and I love bitsas more than breeds :)

I’m really late here, I know... but I got teal* on my phone, which is a blue/green. I Agree that red in comments looks angry, but in a markup/editing situation agree it can’t be beat for contrast. It reminds me of my very first post when my first hatch went awry, I had screwed some stuff up, and someone commented very abruptly (but correctly) in all red Caps... I didn’t take it very well, being already quite distraught at having accidentally drowned too many eggs/chicks. The repetition bluntly of what I did wrong in red caps was a hurtful slap in the face.
Yep, red is really antagonistic. It's not one of my favourite colours @ the best of times. It always seems to be yelling @ you. :(

I’m fairly certain it’s intestinal shed, and related to the potential coccidiosis issues, but this has probably already been mentioned. If not, treat with Amprolium ASAP
I have done the Littlies but ran out before I could do my big girls. Will be seeing the vet again this week so hopefully sorted then.

We've got similar preferences except I'd rather have larger hens than bantams and I love bitsas more than breeds :)

Well, I started with big girls. Little hens frightened me. Now, personality wise, the little girls have seduced me, & I'm dealing with my fear of their size. Ridiculous, I know, but they always just feel so fragile. I adore my Campines [as everyone knows] & they aren't much bigger than a bantam. A number of my new girls are bitzas too ~ Olivia & Titania ~ & they have personality plus! Beauty & brains; a winning combination in my book. :D

Back
Top Bottom