Ribh's D'Coopage

Good afternoon, all :frow

Funny. A page or two before this I realized your profile picture was Olivia on a shoulder. And then here she is again! She's a shoulder chicken! How cute is that :love

I love the wee ones snuggled up in a corner.

And names for (most of) the vorwerks! If I ever come across them I'll have to get some. While I very much love the feather dusters, I don't know how they'd fare in my environment.

By the way, I've got a broody girl that's been patiently sitting on eggs. She's in a bit of bad spot, so I'm hoping they hatch quickly and I can move her. Here's the first babe!
View attachment 2603619
Me digging her baby out of her wing left her nonplussed, but she was a good sport. I think she knows I'm a friendly :)
Sooooo Cute! 🥰

We got a break in our weather so I have popped Olivia out.
No~one was home when we arrived. Olivia kept screaming & looking @ me as if to say: What are you doing to me?
I felt terrible.​
View attachment 2602794
Eventually most of the tribe arrived though whether it was in response to Olivia calling or merely hopeful I came bearing treats I' couldn't say.

View attachment 2602811
Poor baby...she just loves you so much! I just love your yard and the area that they get to forage in! :love

I found a ginormous witchety grub in the girl's pen. Guess who grabbed it & gobbled it down?
View attachment 2603111
Yep.
Pretty sure that's Freya. :lol:

View attachment 2603118
Ooh, dare I say yum... :sick :gig
Theze 2 are becomming Best Buddies.
View attachment 2603156
:love
They are growing so fast... 💗
I love when my girls all hang together.​
View attachment 2603170
For such a diverse lot they do really well.
Most of the older girls are moulting & looking really ratty just now.
Egg production has dropped right off.
All these ladies & I'm lucky to see 3 eggs a day just now. :lol:
View attachment 2603172
You have such a lovely flock! I love having a mixed flock too! I would like to get some that are more exotic at some point. My initial purchase was to have a source of eggs for my family...little did I know that I would come to love my flock so much! 🤗
Once I called my big girls home for dinner I let the newbies out for their first venture in the run. They didn't go far but they chickened like mad.

All while I fed Olivia separately. She wasn't keen on going in the coop but she knew jolly well she wasn't going to get first dibs @ the food when she's been used to bullying the Japs! :lol: Once she'd had something I put her in the coop proper where the more timid girls know they can find food away from the bullies. I'll be checking her @ roosting time to make sure she's all good for the night.

Here's the newest lot out & about just before I fed & watered them.
I always figure they are easier to lure back into the coop if they are after food & water ~ & so they are! 😊
They are certainly enjoying themselves! :love
My babies were all snuggled up for the night.
View attachment 2603322
It was their big sisters with issues.
The smaller Vorwerks were all over the place. Freya has asserted her right to a top roost spot & is there most nights.
Gloriana, Portia & the un~named Vorwerk are a happy threesome though there was a row over who got the wall. Understandably Gloriana wanted it!
View attachment 2603324

And the only place Olivia wanted to roost was on me! 🙄
View attachment 2603325

I kept putting her up with Titania & she kept returning.

View attachment 2603327
It was a right old circus!
View attachment 2603328
Yep, you are her person...:love

Good afternoon, all :frow

Funny. A page or two before this I realized your profile picture was Olivia on a shoulder. And then here she is again! She's a shoulder chicken! How cute is that :love

I love the wee ones snuggled up in a corner.

And names for (most of) the vorwerks! If I ever come across them I'll have to get some. While I very much love the feather dusters, I don't know how they'd fare in my environment.

By the way, I've got a broody girl that's been patiently sitting on eggs. She's in a bit of bad spot, so I'm hoping they hatch quickly and I can move her. Here's the first babe!
View attachment 2603619
Me digging her baby out of her wing left her nonplussed, but she was a good sport. I think she knows I'm a friendly :)
Hi Meg! So adorable! Looking forward to seeing more! :love

Thanks, Bob. It's been a little time consuming but a great chance to handle them & check them over. I've had to do Desi for lice too. Sickness seems to attract them but I got them early & haven't seen any more. No~one else had them either.
Often lice is an indication of ill health be that mental or physical. Often people believe that it is the lice that are the cause whereas ime lice are often the symptom. Healthy happy hens are in general good with hygiene and will groom out most parasites. The rescues that I've had here have all had lice and mites on arrival. Once they are dealt with and the chickens get out and about the lice and mites rarely a problem.

My babies were all snuggled up for the night.
View attachment 2603322
It was their big sisters with issues.
The smaller Vorwerks were all over the place. Freya has asserted her right to a top roost spot & is there most nights.
Gloriana, Portia & the un~named Vorwerk are a happy threesome though there was a row over who got the wall. Understandably Gloriana wanted it!
View attachment 2603324

And the only place Olivia wanted to roost was on me! 🙄
View attachment 2603325

I kept putting her up with Titania & she kept returning.

View attachment 2603327
It was a right old circus!
View attachment 2603328
I think it's lovely that Olivia wants to be your shoulder roosting friend.

Often lice is an indication of ill health be that mental or physical. Often people believe that it is the lice that are the cause whereas ime lice are often the symptom. Healthy happy hens are in general good with hygiene and will groom out most parasites. The rescues that I've had here have all had lice and mites on arrival. Once they are dealt with and the chickens get out and about the lice and mites rarely a problem.
I'm wondering whether the wet weather has been a lice factor. Does anyone know if wet conditions are a factor?

Just another fearsome aggressive rooster picture.:p:D
P4070895.JPG

I'm wondering whether the wet weather has been a lice factor. Does anyone know if wet conditions are a factor?
I don't know about the wet but I always check a sick chicken for lice. I don't normally have a lice problem but invariably a sick chicken has an infestation.

Back
Top Bottom