Ribh's D'Coopage

I was already grumpy at sparrows because they ousted the Eastern bluebirds from the bluebird nest box.
I feel better now because bluebirds have used the other box and seem more prevalent. The boxes were part of a scheme to try and get the Eastern Bluebird to rebuild its population in NJ and it has worked and they are no longer endangered.
I have been involved in this blue bird project for over 30 years. I can't tell you how many blue bird families have hatched at my house and at my parents house. Not to mention the numerous other places I have gotten boxes placed.

20 years ago it was all out warfare with the sparrows. Then I discovered this. By putting a second box next to my blue bird box, 6 feet away and 1 foot lower, the sparrows would use the lower box and leave the higher box for the blue birds.

Here is one of my set ups

20210423_081221.jpg

The sparrows have a nest in the one on the left and the blue birds have a nest in the one on the right. If you look close in this picture you can see a white line in the opening of the box. Mrs Blue Bird was watching me as I took this.

20210423_081526.jpg

I just couldn't get enough light in the photo to show her face. This box is used at this time every year. They will hatch a second time most years. It is a very popular location apparently.

I have been involved in this blue bird project for over 30 years. I can't tell you how many blue bird families have hatched at my house and at my parents house. Not to mention the numerous other places I have gotten boxes placed.

20 years ago it was all out warfare with the sparrows. Then I discovered this. By putting a second box next to my blue bird box, 6 feet away and 1 foot lower, the sparrows would use the lower box and leave the higher box for the blue birds.

Here is one of my set ups

View attachment 2631083

The sparrows have a nest in the one on the left and the blue birds have a nest in the one on the right. If you look close in this picture you can see a white line in the opening of the box. Mrs Blue Bird was watching me as I took this.

View attachment 2631084

I just couldn't get enough light in the photo to show her face. This box is used at this time every year. They will hatch a second time most years. It is a very popular location apparently.
I am so glad you have been doing the bluebird project. You have me beat - I don’t really remember but my boxes are maybe up for the last 15 years.
That is a great tip. Another is to keep the box away from the house. Sparrows favor the house apparently. I have one way out in the yard and that is used by the bluebirds every season now and the sparrows take the one on the side of the garage.
It gives me joy seeing the bluebirds around the yard, I think I have space to add another box. They like their space apparently do bluebirds.

I am so glad you have been doing the bluebird project. You have me beat - I don’t really remember but my boxes are maybe up for the last 15 years.
That is a great tip. Another is to keep the box away from the house. Sparrows favor the house apparently. I have one way out in the yard and that is used by the bluebirds every season now and the sparrows take the one on the side of the garage.
It gives me joy seeing the bluebirds around the yard, I think I have space to add another box. They like their space apparently do bluebirds.
I have three boxes set aside for bluebirds at my house. They really only use 2. I provide meal worms and suet for them as well. They are joyous to see. 🥰

Good heavens! Look at the size of those paws! :eek: She is going to be huge
They said that about our German Shepard mix dog. She turned out to be coffee table sized. Apparently there was some corgi in there. Who knows how big she will be. We shall see.

I have three boxes set aside for bluebirds at my house. They really only use 2. I provide meal worms and suet for them as well. They are joyous to see. 🥰
They really are. Flashes of the brightest blue you can imagine.
I had three boxes and the sparrows took one. So I think I will try your trick on placement and see if I can get a third bluebird home going.

Back
Top Bottom