ROO ACTING FUNNY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bunch-a-chickens, Nov 24, 2007.

1. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    I have a rooster that walks with one whole side dropped down. He also has trouble flying. Think it may have had a stroke? I just want to know whats wrong with it.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You'll have to give a little more info like how long its been this way, age, what kind of enviroment it lives in, what is being fed, etc... so that we can help.

3. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    The roos a little over half a year old, when he started doing this about a week ago they had been eating scratch for a long while with what ever scraps we had on hand. scraps weren't anything unusual, vegees and fruits. it lives in a coop with about 20 other chickens. they go out into a run if we're not home, and rome free outside when we are. the coop is cleaned often, water is cleaned often, over all very clean conditions. Every now and then i clean the coop with bleach water(when they're out and about of course)to disinfect.

4. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    Any idea?

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hi.

Scratch does not have the nutrition he needs; it is a snack food. He should be on a good game bird maintenance diet or chicken food that is ideally not layer food (too much calcium). To quote the ever helpful Diana of the Netherlands, also use a good nutritional supplement like Avia Charge 2000 in the water (can order from McMurray Hatchery). I would hurry.

Re: his immediate problem, I'm afraid I don't know without further info (so many possibilities) - is it possible to get him to a good avian vet?

Sending best wishes.
    JJ

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  6. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    well, when we ran out of feed i was just giving them scratch and any scraps, but today we got some feed. i have a few chickens that do lay, one coop, so they all eat the same thing. the feed i got was layers crumbles. We don't live anywhere near anything so a bird vet is out of the question. mostly because my parents would rather me buy another chicken than pay so much for a vet. we live near a lot of woods so he could have been bitten in the leg causing that side to slouch, stroke, good fight. I can understand why it's hard to diagnose the problem.

And off subject, can these sub topics be deleted when i get the info i want, or do they just get really old and are automatically deleted?

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Does he seem to be limping?

Have you checked the bottom of the foot on the affected side?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  8. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    kinda yes he is limping but i have not checked the foot. i will do it in the morning but i don't think a foot injury would have made him this lop-sided

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Check his foot for signs of bumblefoot.

Use the search to find lots of threads on this condition.

Keep us updated.

10. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    He can stand on that leg as long as he can the other. but when running he seems off balance rather than infected foot. i will check tomorrow though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by