Roo ok but I what should I be looking for :Animal tried to take him

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
Something got to my Roo - not sure fox or Dog saw the fluffy tail with a white tip and ran after it like a crazy lady tossing branches at it like javalins and it dropped my roo and took off! Maybe the Battle cry helped too! I was beserk over seeig it take my chicken!

It dropped my roo. He seems okay - he was definately stressed out for an hour or so and then he seemed to no longer want to be held so I put him back in the coop after looking him over.

He had some minor scratches on his feet, lost a bunch of feathers esp his tail feathers. He has a minor little cut on his comb.

He is eating and drinking fine - gave him a little ham - he made the happy noises and has crowed.

Should I watch for anything or give him anything special with the loss of the feathers - He lost nearly every one of the fancy curled feathers and a bunch from his back and around his tail. It is 56 degrees and his coop is not in the path of the wind.

Thought I would be proactive and look for things to help him.

Caroline

Last edited:
Im glad that it dropped him...that is a rare occasion!!

Well, he sounds fine. Just keep and eye on him, if he seems cold maybe put a light out there for him, just keep him warm and loved and make sure that his cuts dont get infected.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!
big_smile.png

Wow. I'm happy your Roo is ok!! I watched a fox, speechless, come up into my barnyard. And by barnyard, I mean in and out of my barn thats in my yard. It ran around like a cartoon then grabbed the only hen out of 6 roosters and ran like hell.. I was screaming, my DH was in the house and my dogs were looking up at the sky barking....... Finally after I ran the dogs figured it out and took off after it.. But no recovery and have'nt seen it since. KNOCK ON WOOD

keep an eye out he could swell up from a ruptured air sack but it will go away in time. Also if you havent look for small puncture wounds if you find them flush them as best you can and pack with antibacterial ointment (not with added painkiller though)

Glad he is ok
smile.png

Thanks - I will take a looksee at him tomorrow and see how he is doing. He was happy this afternoon! It was cold but he was with the older pullets and he loves being with them!
big_smile.png

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom