Rooster attacking despite some advices followed

At what point do you consider this Aggression to the point of being “persistent and severe”? — While he still a Cockerel, and before he has a chance to become a mature Roo? If so, then IMO it’s too early. I think what myself and @Tonyroo is saying is that you gotta let a cockerel be a cockerel, try to understand them, and give them a chance if you can as you may be cheating yourself of a really good Rooster that will one day save you Layer hens from danger and lay down his life for them. I mean, what better protection for you Flock can you ask for? To me, it’s definitely worth it! Roos get a bad rap, that’s for sure
I consider it likely to be beyond the point of no return if 1) it is a cockerel, a cockerel should be least likely to attack you because its still a teenager and cockerels are naturally submissive in the chicken pecking order to a mature cock. and 2) the aggression takes the form of constant flogging as if he’s trying to spur you. A rooster should never, ever, under any circumstance, attempt to flog or spur his owner. Any consistent spurring or flogging behavior is sign of the defect and either has to be accepted or culled. It can never be trained away because you can never train a rooster to not attack a rival. The defect is not the aggression the defect is in aiming the aggression at a human as opposed to a rival rooster. Attempts to assert dominance over said rooster are only temporary just as that rooster’s submission to a rival rooster is only temporary.

I am also convinced that in addition to having a defect where human and rival rooster is not distinguished, some roosters attack out of enjoyment. My great, great, aunt had a Rhode Island red that would plan his attacks and pretend that he wasn’t going to attack. He’d fake out like he was pecking then he’d attack when the person turned their backs. He would never attack when being stared at. My great great uncle would knock him unconscious with a cane but that only taught him to be sneaky. That rooster terrorized the farm for a decade until he was culled unknowing to my aunt. I am convinced that rooster enjoyed attacking and could be considered a sociopath to the extent that any bird could be.

A rooster that may gently peck its owner out of frustration or begging for food can be corrected. That’s a different kind of aggression. One of my game roosters will gently peck me when I’m doing something he doesn’t like and I can verbally correct him and he won’t peck again in that context. He also liked to pull my boxers down from the rear when he was a very young cockerel if I went outside in them. He never makes any attempt to flog me. None of my living game brood cocks have ever tried to flog me at any times in their lives.

Some cockerels and Roos are just born more aggressive than others. I never handle my cockerels. I think it allows them a little human fear. If he’s rude to your family , you are better off culling or rehoming. We had two cockerels this spring and did the cone method. It was quick and calm. We all were emotional and sad, but I expressed to my younger generation why is it okay for us to eat the store chicken and not our own?

Thank you! gonna try this. have been meaning to try this for a while. just been so nervous to tackle him into my hands haha! he screams at the top of his lungs whenever i do try pick him up! which may be my fault. I have hand fed them all their life. but never actually really "handled them"
That’s not your fault, this is cockerels in general, they don’t like to be picked up for obvious reasons, but u have to show them you are the boss

IMO crow collars are cruel, but like you say, most ppl have dogs and don’t complain..offer your neighbors eggs, it normally goes a long way 😁
ya very good point. A couple more hens may be in order to keep the neighbors happy! 🤣
Would love to get more hens anyway,. the two i have are so funny, their own little personalities. amazing little creatures!

The best option for this rooster is to cook him. I tried several of the suggested methods for teaching an aggressive rooster manners but I never had any luck with any of them and it isn't because I didn't try. I have said this before, but one trip to the ER buys a LOT of chicken feed. I was designated the chief chicken killer through no fault of my own. I am also a complete wuss. Most of the methods suggested for killing the chicken give me the willies. I couldn't deal with an axe, the broomstick, snapping the neck, or anything else. I found a large heavy duty pair of very sharp pruning shears in the shop and settled on those. I went on the internet and printed out how to process a chicken. I tied the rooster's feet together with baling twine, hung him at a convenient height, and lopped his head off with the shears. It was fast, quick, and easy. Followed the processing instructions one step at a time. I didn't think about it. I just did it. Two hints. Put a squirt of dish detergent in the scald water. You know you have a good scald when you can flick the skin in the leg with your fingernail. With a proper scald the feathers come right off. Hope this helps.

Later I traded in the shears for a very sharp utility knife or box cutter. I had a cone but I never used it. I just tied the feet together, hung the chicken up and severed the veins with the knife. The chickens bled out quickly. I know being upside down wasn't comfortable, but as sharp as the knife was, I can't imagine it caused any pain. The whole process took just a couple minutes or so.

I didn't think I had it in me for my first cull and had considered a vet. That changed when he pissed me off enough. After that it was quite easy. Broomstick method.
I just seen a video of the broom stick method earlier! actually a few vids. One guy even accidentally pulled its entire head right off :eek:My main fear more than anything is doing it wrong and increasing the suffering. Do you think a .22 Air rifle could do the job quick enough if if it was to the head (point black)? In culling I feel its the physical contact that would hold me back more during the process. It is on the lower end of power about 450 fps

Back
Top Bottom