Rooster/cockerel starting to crow- who’s used a ‘collar’?

Since he’s your pet, I wouldn’t eat him...but if you can’t let him crow...I’d find him a new home...in my opinion we must do what’s best for the animals not what’s best for us....in these situations....we do plan to eat some of our cockerels just not any animals we’d consider as a true pet

In the UK we have something called a ‘noise abatement order’ which the local council issue - I haven’t received one but it’s possible in the future…

I’m so tempted to try a ‘crow collar’ but as the second person on this thread to tell me how cruel they are I’m going to have to give that a miss…

Looks like it’s back to the old fashioned method of blocking light from coop & insulating it…
Thanks for your input & advice, much appreciated

UK owner too, hi! You’ll still need to check you can keep chickens, if you haven’t already. If cockerels are quiet (like mine) they usually aren’t an issue, if you can keep chickens in the first place.

They will crow regardless of light. Sometimes my boy goes off in the night. He’s just not loud enough to cause disturbance though so I can keep him, so I’m sorry I can’t understand your position.

:barnieOh gosh, after raising him from a chick & being a vegan adding him to pastry just isn’t an option for me but I hear what you’re saying & in many ways youre right!
I'm plant based and If I had a rooster that I could not keep, I would re-home him to someone that could have roosters and where he would not be a nuisance.

Crow collars are torturous devices made by man and are not natural. I've heard many stories of people who have seen roosters with them on and their reactions to it. The rooster basically flips out trying to get it off. Why people use these is beyond me, it's animal cruelty.

I understand that you have raised him from a chick, but he deserves to live as a rooster. Finding him a new home where he can do what he wants is best for him.

He's just a cockerel right now and as they age into being a rooster their crowing will reduce. He will still crow, but not as much.

Trying to take away his crow is like cutting a dog's vocal cords so it won't bark...

Saying you're vegan isn't helping me understand why you're trying to change an animal into something that it isn't. Isn't that what vegans are against?

I'm plant based and If I had a rooster that I could not keep, I would re-home him to someone that could have roosters and where he would not be a nuisance.

Crow collars are torturous devices made by man and are not natural. I've heard many stories of people who have seen roosters with them on and their reactions to it. The rooster basically flips out trying to get it off. Why people use these is beyond me, it's animal cruelty.

I understand that you have raised him from a chick, but he deserves to live as a rooster. Finding him a new home where he can do what he wants is best for him.

He's just a cockerel right now and as they age into being a rooster their crowing will reduce. He will still crow, but not as much.

Trying to take away his crow is like cutting a dog's vocal cords so it won't bark...

Saying you're vegan isn't helping me understand why you're trying to change an animal into something that it isn't. Isn't that what vegans are against?

100% agreed.

I’ve been following your recent thread but couldn’t think of anything more to add that hasn’t already been said. Every time I see a new thread about neutering or crow collars I just sigh. Neutering other animals (cats, dogs, rabbits) I get because it does prevent unwanted pets, but with roosters you can just chose not to incubate your eggs, but people don’t want to do it for that, they want to stop them from being a male chicken. Crow collars and the other procedure (damaging the air sack above the crop?) are so dangerous. I love my little roo but if people complained I’d accept that he needs to go and I’d rehome him.

100% agreed.

I’ve been following your recent thread but couldn’t think of anything more to add that hasn’t already been said. Every time I see a new thread about neutering or crow collars I just sigh. Neutering other animals (cats, dogs, rabbits) I get because it does prevent unwanted pets, but with roosters you can just chose not to incubate your eggs, but people don’t want to do it for that, they want to stop them from being a male chicken. Crow collars and the other procedure (damaging the air sack above the crop?) are so dangerous. I love my little roo but if people complained I’d accept that he needs to go and I’d rehome him.
That thread meant everything to me yesterday. I walked outside and looked at my roosters and couldn't imagine trying to change them. That thread was from my heart yesterday and it poured out into the thread. I didn't want to insult anyone or have anyone hate me, but it needed to be said at that time.

I absolutely love roosters and what they are, I am very passionate about what they do. I understand that people get chicks and don't realize that some could turn into roosters, but they're always needs to be some sort of plan b. That plan b should not involve torturing an animal or trying to make it something it's not. They are better off on a dinner table than wearing some torturous device thats man-made.

It’s a rooster they crow. Why would you want to alter the bird just to suit you and you’re modern living arrangements? If you live very close to neighbors you had to know there was a pretty good chance you would end up with a rooster when you got chickens.
Yeh I get that a cockerel crows & live in a semi rural location- the reason I have a cockerel is a long story but one of my hens (Molly) went so broody she almost died & after trying everything someone on here suggested I let her hatch one to break the bloodiness - I found a breeder of champ stock & she sent me x3 fertilized eggs not expecting all 3 to hatch but they did & one was a cockerel - I’m pleased Molly survived & he’s a fine specimen I just need find a way of curbing his crow lol

Yeh I get that a cockerel crows & live in a semi rural location- the reason I have a cockerel is a long story but one of my hens (Molly) went so broody she almost died & after trying everything someone on here suggested I let her hatch one to break the bloodiness - I found a breeder of champ stock & she sent me x3 fertilized eggs not expecting all 3 to hatch but they did & one was a cockerel - I’m pleased Molly survived & he’s a fine specimen I just need find a way of curbing his crow lol
When you hatch eggs usually 50% are cockerels.

You can't curb a roosters crow unless you plan on torturing your rooster to achieve it.

Find him a new home that can allow him to be a rooster and not be kept just to satisfy your human emotions.

Imagine your family putting a collar on you or cutting your vocal cords because you talk too much... Pretty extreme measures just because you like to talk.

100% agreed.

I agree with every word & in many ways sorry I started this thread especially if it’s upsetting people - to me the sound of a cockerel crowing reminds me of my childhood on the farm but one neighbor has let it be known he will throttle it if it gets any louder & I was hoping there may be something (these days) that would be a simple procedure similar to castration but it’s looking like that’s not possible at least not in the UK because of the complications involved with canonizing...

When you hatch eggs usually 50% are cockerels.

You can't curb a roosters crow unless you plan on torturing your rooster to achieve it.

Find him a new home that can allow him to be a rooster and not be kept just to satisfy your human emotions.

Imagine your family putting a collar on you or cutting your vocal cords because you talk too much... Pretty extreme measures just because you like to talk.

I have just spent 3hrs insulating the coop for sound & lining it to block the light - let’s hope that works… Many years ago I hatched a cockerel & spent weeks trying to find it a good home but nobody wants them & all I’m trying to do is find a way of saving its life!
As you are probably aware most are killed soon after hatching & im sure you will probably tell me that’s more humane but I’m not prepared to kill him…

Back
Top Bottom