Rooster dizzy/off balance

Jessicanentwich

Chirping
Nov 16, 2016
Got a 2 year old rooster who is super off balance. I think the other rooster may have beat him up and I figured he was done for but he's been acting like this for almost a month so I figure I should try to help him out. He can walk around somewhat, he just tips over a lot and sticks his wings out to try to catch himself. He was getting around better today but I grabbed him and looked him over and after that he was way worse!! He is eating and drinking normally, head and neck moving normally, eyes clear, some mites but not many. Checked his ears and all over under his feathers, legs and feet etc but can find no injuries. Feathers look kind of ratty but he doesn't seem to be losing any. He is still pretty heavy has lost a little weight but not much. We have 20 chickens, none of the others are affected. He doesn't seem to be getting worse or better. It seems when he is stressed or scared or excited that he becomes way more dizzy. After I picked him up earlier he fell over forwards with his butt in the air and stayed that way for several minutes, then got up and ran off. I put some rooster booster in his water, any ideas for anything else I can try appreciated. I also dusted him for mites today as we have a problem with sticktight fleas pretty much all the time.

Yeah I don't think there's any point in taking him out unless he seems like he's in a lot of pain or something. If he has it I'm sure the rest do since he gets up on the roost still at night with them. I'll keep on giving him some extra vitamins etc and if he improves a lot or something I'll post it here! He does seem much better today so I think it's also possible that he is malnourished due to the other rooster running him off the food. When I handled him yesterday he didn't feel super light, but I have never picked him up before since he isn't tame. Maybe now I can get him to be my friend since I will have to treat him a little bit special!! LOL

Got a 2 year old rooster who is super off balance. I think the other rooster may have beat him up and I figured he was done for but he's been acting like this for almost a month so I figure I should try to help him out. He can walk around somewhat, he just tips over a lot and sticks his wings out to try to catch himself. He was getting around better today but I grabbed him and looked him over and after that he was way worse!! He is eating and drinking normally, head and neck moving normally, eyes clear, some mites but not many. Checked his ears and all over under his feathers, legs and feet etc but can find no injuries. Feathers look kind of ratty but he doesn't seem to be losing any. He is still pretty heavy has lost a little weight but not much. We have 20 chickens, none of the others are affected. He doesn't seem to be getting worse or better. It seems when he is stressed or scared or excited that he becomes way more dizzy. After I picked him up earlier he fell over forwards with his butt in the air and stayed that way for several minutes, then got up and ran off. I put some rooster booster in his water, any ideas for anything else I can try appreciated. I also dusted him for mites today as we have a problem with sticktight fleas pretty much all the time.
@Jessicanentwich , welcome to BYC!

Can you post a video?

-Kathy

Make sure you lock up the fridge tonight i think he is cracking open a whiskey every night having some fun
gig.gif

LOL I think if he was actually drunk he would be acting much happier....he seems so confused by what's happening it makes me sad!! I hatched him and he's the only rooster left from that batch we incubated. Guess I'm kind of attached.....maybe I'LL have a whiskey!!!

You should,Dealing with sick chickens is stressful and not fun.Just give us a video tomorrow and we can hopefully diagnose the problem with him.

Back
Top Bottom