Punkabear

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2021
Our roosters knees look red swollen and meat is puffy on knees. Took to vet got antibiotics and cream. Don't know what this could be from. Looks as if he was shot in the knees. Which isn't the case here, just trying to paint a pic of what it looks like. It looks so painful and I don't knew what could of caused it

Attachments

• 20211006_182537.jpg
    20211006_182537.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 35
First of all, when did this happen? It doesn’t look like something that could happen overnight.
About 2 weeks ago I noticed him limping... so I looked at him and saw that his knees were bad. Started putting neosporin but they didn't get any better so I got him to a vet. But they look worse than they did 2 weeks ago. Here's a pic from 2 weeks ago

Attachments

• 20211001_195754.jpg
    20211001_195754.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211001_195822.jpg
    20211001_195822.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 3
They are free range and there's plenty of open ground and yes they have thier own girls, but sometimes we'll catch Freddy over in Foghorns territory and they'll fight and we break it up. Foghorn has his own garage and Freddy had his own coop. Lots of pretty , clean, territory
Me or my bestie never had any children... so this is our life. The animals. We have 20 chickens 2 roosters 6 ducks 2 goats and 3 Chihuahua

What does the back of his legs look like?

This is the front of the legs we are looking at.
Possibly impacted feather follicles, but it's unusual that it would be on both legs at practically the same place.
Could the vet not offer any suggestions?

Even in a fight or attack - it would be odd for the wounds to line up like that.

Cancer comes to mind as well, with all that bubbling raised follicles.

Keep the wounds cleaned with Chlorhexidine, apply very thin triple antibiotic ointment. For this, I think I might would cover/wrap the wounds overnight while he is roosting, just to keep his feathers off the wounds and him cleaner too. Take the wrappings off during the day so the wounds can breath.

There's no lice or mites on him is there?

He's a nice rooster, I hope he recovers.

He's kinda laying down now that he's inside . But the perches in coop don't have poop on them i keep the perches clean and rebed the bedding frequently
And what i mean by laying down.. he's still on top of crate.. just leaned forward. He doesn't sleep on bedding in coop. He sleeps on perch

He sleeps in a coop which has perches. I just recently separated him while I'm giving antibiotics from vet. He's in bathroom now in a perch in a crate ..or he sits on top of crate
Poor boy, I hope you find some more help.

He's kinda laying down now that he's inside . But the perches in coop don't have poop on them i keep the perches clean and rebed the bedding frequently
That’s good.
And what i mean by laying down.. he's still on top of crate.. just leaned forward. He doesn't sleep on bedding in coop. He sleeps on perch
Okay.
Was he attacked by something? Did you hatch him out, or rescue him?

Back
Top Bottom