Rooster Reserve Corps

Ahhh, there we go.
But do you just want to hatch in general or do you specifically want to hatch game birds?
Game birds are at the top of a list of breeds I am interested in. In my opinion, game roosters are the most "useful" for protection. I don't want to keep a bachelor coop full of maybe-maybe-not-useful roosters, even if bachelor coop is less work than separate pens.

Roosters start crowing around 12 weeks. The roosters won't even be big enough or experienced enough to defend your flock. I get what you're trying to do but get a Great Pyrenees, they're a good guardian breed. Look for a chicken swap in your area they usually have guardian dogs for flocks. You can get a lot of different ideas from chicken breeders too plus learn about guardian dogs that they use.

Last edited:
I already have laying hens that lay more eggs than I can use. My goal now is to try to keep as many of them alive as possible!

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding me... I KNOW THAT regular barnyard roosters can be hit or miss. That's why my plan is to go for the "gamest" breed I can find, so they'll fight any bad guy that bothers a hen, even if it's much bigger than he is.

I live on an acre and had 55 chickens. When I came down with cancer I had 11 rooster all in with their own flock and area to roam with in a fenced setting or they would have killed each other. I had one rooster who was HUGE was still killed bye a red tail hawk along all the other ruooster). I have driven in rebar along the fence line to keep the coyotes out and built what I call a play pens for the remaining chickens and roosters I have inherited. This pen is a 10' W x 10' L x 6' H 1 1/2 PVC and strung wire along the top using screws as guides of the pen so rain, snow can get through without collapsing the roof I have no more predator issues from the ground or the air. My neighbors who runs a chicken business has adapted my method to her farm and has not lost one bird to eagles, hawks or coyotes. They like their area and have their own ladies and I do not have to play guard dog or go out and find one dead.

Best thing for a Coyote or something hunting your flock is a good old gun, tif they are harassing your birds or coming on your property with intention of eating your birds you can shoot them, but you'd better be a dang good shot cause if your gonna shoot you shoot to kill
I wish I could! It is illegal to shoot a firearm where I live. I don't know if it would be allowed if pets are in danger, but probably not even then.

The electric fence keeps most of them out, but sometimes it's not enough for a very hungry coyote.

I wish I could! It is illegal to shoot a firearm where I live. I don't know if it would be allowed if pets are in danger, but probably not even then.

The electric fence keeps most of them out, but sometimes it's not enough for a very hungry coyote.
if you can't then call for animal control or fish and wild life services in your area to come and get em moved

if you can't then call for animal control or fish and wild life services in your area to come and get em moved
I have called and left a message before. We have a county trapper that traps and culls coyotes if they threaten humans or pets. They get too many calls to respond to everyone, so I am not optimistic that they will do anything here.

In conclusion, it sounds like my plan is a bust. So when I do my springtime hatch I will slaughter the males instead of trying to raise them.

Last edited:
Well, not all roos with fight for you. Some are right... jerks and would rather attack you. Plus I have gound a delay in hatch to protection status. In my experience it doesn't matter HOW many roos you have, predators are still an issue. Especially if none are mature roos.
i'm not gonna use just any old roos... that's why i want to get a good game breed, the ones that were bred to fight and never give up. i know that predator losses are guaranteed for free range birds... but i want the predator to get kicked in the face a few times so it doesn't feel like such an easy meal.

That's kind of what I'm doing. I keep one rooster in solitary confinement because he is such a butthead and endangers the safety of my other two roosters who get along very well. If something happens to them, I will bring him online, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom