Rooster said to be aggressive

Just keep aware of where he is at all times and I guess respect his house and area your going into...Those are his Hens and his territory your in ..:)

Cheers!

They aren't though.

They are mine.

He is here because I allow him to be.

He defers to me, or he is gone.

Respect goes a long way......even in the animal world........;)

Cheers!

That's exactly what I do, the kicking is an immediate gut reaction, otherwise I wouldn't kick him. I would go on the offense now, making sure he keeps his distance and back to you. Another tool I use is my plastic coffee can feed scoop which will get tossed at any rooster doing things I don't like. It's a way to reach out and touch him from afar and will give you extra power just by carrying it.

I am not out daily dominating roosters, mine all behave themselves. Some young ones need reminding in spring. I personally don't let them mate in front of me or when I'm in the shed, because the dominant rooster doesn't allow it either. I take my cues from the chickens.

After he understands you are top rooster he should stop his trying to dominate and accept he's below you. A sure way to check a roosters acceptance of you being dominant is to pick up a hen who squawk to see if he runs over. He shouldn't, or if he does he should stop when he sees you. He's young and just needs teaching, and time for his raging hormones to calm down and for him to make better decisions.

Agree with all the above, and just have to add about the bolded part....

First, I don't handle my birds as a rule. They're livestock, not pets. I don't pick them up or really mess with them at all. If I need to move them or do anything, it's usually at night so no fuss. But, the other day I had set up breeding pens and saw a hen I'd missed. I managed to catch her in the main coop and she put up a huge fuss, lots of noise and flapping. The head rooster in that coop, Tom, came charging in all in a tizzy. Mostly, he thought it was one of the younger cockerels harassing her, that's been keeping him on his toes a lot recently. Well, when he saw it was me....it was so funny watching him. He was still all charged up and ready to kick someone's butt, but he's never once challenged me and wasn't about to start now. So, he literally picked an innocent (at the time, anyway) cockerel about 10 feet away and just flew at him, this absolute ball of butt-kicking. Poor cockerel lit out of there like his tail was on fire. The hen I had calmed down, Tom strutted around and crowed and mated a few hens, just to show them he was still boss and taking care of things.

Now, this is a mature rooster, not a young cockerel. But, I was still mentally preparing myself for him to go after me, with that hen getting him so stirred up. I was very glad to see him make a good decision! He's up for consideration of culling this fall, and that will weigh in his favor to live another season.

And just cause I like pics...here he is

Quote: This made me laugh too....
had the same thing happen tho it was purposeful, as I do handle the girls enough to show the cock that it's OK for me to make them squawk.
But he came tearing into coop from the run and put on the skids when he saw me holding the hen, he didn't kick anyone else's butt,
but cocked his head and looked at me...almost shook his head and headed back outside.

I had a hen that was so done with one of my roosters she ended up attacking him. It looked like two roosters fighting. I think she won too.

Nobody messes with Lagertha the Australorp now.

Back
Top Bottom