Roosting area, I like it so why don’t those darn hens!

ShannyG

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
East Tn
So I built my ladies a ladder roost used 2x2 for ladder steps, top three, where I assumed they would roost, are 2x4’s. The are not roosting there, they have decided to roost on the round pole (10 ft top rail of the cage) which is covered with chicken wire. They wil go up and down the ladder but then fly to the ground and back up to the corner pole area. I built the ladder roost so this winter it would be better for their feet. They were roosting in an tall tree that we cut and put in the corner. they got to big and the limbs got fragile, so I took it out. What should I do? Leave them alone? Block the area once it get cold, it’s still above 50/60 right now.Move the ladder to their favorite corner? First timer so I’m a worrier!!View attachment 2355139View attachment 2355139View attachment 2355139

Attachments

• 4AD55196-21AD-4708-B72C-34E464C2467A.jpeg
    4AD55196-21AD-4708-B72C-34E464C2467A.jpeg
    626.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
They will try to get up as high as possible to roost.
I haven’t done a ladder roost before so I don’t know the necessary measurements needed between each rung.

Chickens usually want to roost as high as possible.

they have decided to roost on the round pole (10 ft top rail of the cage) which is covered with chicken wire.... What should I do? Leave them alone? Block the area once it get cold, it’s still above 50/60 right now.

If their preferred pole is made of metal, they will get really cold feet in winter, so probably not a good idea.

If it's made of wood, then I might worry about the chicken wire being uncomfortable or bad for their feet.

Maybe put in a new pole, wood and not wrapped in chicken wire, right above the one they like.

Or else block access to it, which will force them to roost somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom