Run Enrichment Ideas

If you have the space, install a dig box! We made ours out of pine 2x6s and planter wall blocks. It's full of mulch, peat moss, and herbs. We throw in scratch grains, sprouts, weeds, etc... so there's always something to find. They also use it for dust bathing, and love to perch on the edge.
What a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing, and for the picture.

Around Christmas 2020, I got some large jingle bells that were red, silver, and green. Shiny! Sparkly! Jingly!

The chickens totally ignored them. :gig

I'm going to put them out again this year and see if the pullets might give them a peck or two.
Same!
We hung sparkly/crackly balls (cat toys) from the ceiling when our chicks were pullets; they just gave us the stink eye like "we're too old for toys, human" :lau

Well, then lay the branch on the ground, find one that has a shape that will keep it from rolling.
Why don’t they roost? Because they’re Silkies? Or young? My bantam EE youngsters have been flying up 3 1/2 ft to reach that branch since they were a month old…now, at 2 months, they can easily fly up onto the roof of their coop which is over 5’ high…..I see them eyeing the trees outside of their covered run.
I’m assuming because they’re silkies. My 3 adults have never roosted either. Pretty common with silkies to sleep in cuddle puddles instead of roosting the night.

I have 4 chicks in with my adults and when the chicks were very small they would perch max 9 inches off the floor during the day, but still slept in a cuddle puddle. Once their crests started filling out they stopped even perching temporarily. I’m assuming it’s because their crests stop them from “seeing up” but that’s a total guess.

Back
Top Bottom