Sebastopol geese question

What prompted my question was a friend that owns her own feedstore near me had 5 goslings she was selling for 75.00 a piece or two for 140.00 and I thought quietly to myself I am sure I can order some much much cheaper from a hatchery.....BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!
ep.gif

ty all again for the info though.

Holderead's is a hatchery but their quality is fantastic. As I understand it their day olds are not unheard of to turn into champions. I have a pair from them and they are beautifully fluffy with long plumage (though their condition is poor now). They are not like some pictures you see with straight feathers sticking out like they've been through a tornado. I ordered last year in December for may delivery. I missed out the year before because they were already sold out by early spring.

Eta- I think I paid about 260 for two pairs of goslings and shipping. Worth every penny!

Last edited:
At that price from a feed store I would ask for the pedigree, show record, where their stock is from, and pics of the parents. That is not an unreasonable price as long as they are top quality. Pet quality should be under $40/each.

I bought my straight run Sebbie for $50. He turned out to be so affectionate and worth every penny.

Suzy

love.gif

I just bought a trio on friday for $11 each at auction. the owner said they were laying but so far I have not got an egg. They look pretty ratty but I guess they do this time of year. I dont know if they are good quality or not. will have to get a pic of them.

You cannot expect to pay for bologna and get Fillet Mignon. If you get a lucky break, God Bless you! I don't think paying $40-$50 for a healthy, beautiful, quality animal, that lives 15-20 years, and (a pair) will produce 5-10 goslings or 30+ eggs a year is a bad investment. Sebastopol geese are on the endangered list. If you just want a pet goose, there are many inexpensive options.
roll.png
I am ranting because I take such good care of my geese, and WILL NEVER even come close to making a profit on raising them. I'm not in it for the money-nor are most of the Seb breeders I am acquainted with. You keep them for the love of them!
big_smile.png

goslings483-1.jpg

Quote:
I don't buy hatchery birds for any kind of breeding, or for much of anything for that matter as they are interested in quantity not quality. For instance, I just bought 5 Khaki hen babies strictly to provide my family with eggs. One of them has developed a topknot which Khaki's aren't supposed to have.

Holderreads on the other hand I don't consider a hatchery, more like big scale breeding as their stock wins at big shows all the time- they are obviously interested in quality. I am much more comfortable getting stock from them, as I think I am going to get what I order making it more predicatable. I would reccomend them highly but I waited 18 months to get the babies I am raising now from them. No one should think for an instant that they can just order up from Holderreads and have it to them in a month or two. OH NO! But, things worth having (and working with) are worth waiting for is what I believe.

I just called Holderreads for Sebs and they have been sold out for awhile.
They are taking orders for next year and they have a lot of orders allready!!

Back
Top Bottom