Sept Silkie hatches (Great Hatches)

oh no just refreshed the air in the bag with the egg that has lost 14% of its weight and its blood vessels have all disappeared, I feel sick did I kill it by not refreshing the air often enough? It was barely moving this morning, maybe it wasn't well anyway. This is a small egg and can be candled really easily its very see through so I assume its a thin shell.
Has anyone else used a plastic bag to stop an egg loosing too much moisture? How often did you refresh the air in the bag?

When I read that you put it in a bag I was going to ask if you cut some holes in the bag. Its got to have constant ventilation. If it makes it, I wouldn't seal it up tight.

When I read that you put it in a bag I was going to ask if you cut some holes in the bag. Its got to have constant ventilation. If it makes it, I wouldn't seal it up tight.

oh no i didnt, I dont see how it could stay humid enough if it was ventilated. The article I read said just air the bag. Oh gosh I feel sick, I was uncomfortable putting it in it but didn't see any other way since its so light and I had to drop the humidity for the others.

It is just a 16 oz container from the store that my fresh mozzarella came in.  I put a rock at the bottom so it would be a little harder to knock over.  I love their puffy heads!

Also, does chick music work on quail?   ; )

Chick music does not work on quails!

My eggs are hatching! They're finally hatching! Just the first little pips right now, but still. Either it was my mom talking to them (I talked to them over and over and yet just an hour or so after Mom did it they start hatching), or maybe they sensed the pressure change outside. Its really storming, and they started hatching as soon as it started storming.

Congrats on the one that hatched! That little black spot is so adorable!! :celebrate

oh Gita he/she is lovely, is that a little black spot? how are the others?
Ruby how are the quails doing? Hopefully the extended wait will just help set the air cells.
I have hit a snag with humidity, 5eggs not loosing enough weight, 1 lost too much, so I have it in a plastic bag with a wet tissue, and am running the other ones in a dry incubator, at about 20%. weigh in again tomorrow. Have also sanded the blunt end of those eggs with an emery board, but dont want to wash the bloom off for fear of leaving them exposed to infection.
It was confusing as to why last hatch I had to keep in high humidity the whole way thru, while this and the first one needed to be drier. I think my middle hatch were washed by the seller before shipping. The eggs were really clean and felt slippery, and they didn't get the slight brownish patches on them the others have as they incubated.

When I read you put the egg in the bag, I got really worried!!! When my power went out two weeks ago, I threw towels over the incubator to keep heat in and then jumped on the Internet to read what to do. And it said, do not put towels over the incubator because it's really important for the eggs to have a constant supply of oxygen. I have an idea of what will work! @WVduckchick gave me this idea and I tried it and it works for humidity! If you have the room in your incubator take a small dish or cup, put the egg and the wet paper towel in there. Cover with plastic wrap and then punch lots of little holes with a tack. It will definitely raise the humidity! I really hope that egg pulls through!!

I have a baby quail, will update in the next post! It was a successful assist! Got to let the chickens out now.

Chick music does not work on quails!
Congrats on the one that hatched! That little black spot is so adorable!!
celebrate.gif

When I read you put the egg in the bag, I got really worried!!! When my power went out two weeks ago, I threw towels over the incubator to keep heat in and then jumped on the Internet to read what to do. And it said, do not put towels over the incubator because it's really important for the eggs to have a constant supply of oxygen. I have an idea of what will work! @WVduckchick gave me this idea and I tried it and it works for humidity! If you have the room in your incubator take a small dish or cup, put the egg and the wet paper towel in there. Cover with plastic wrap and then punch lots of little holes with a tack. It will definitely raise the humidity! I really hope that egg pulls through!!

I have a baby quail, will update in the next post! It was a successful assist! Got to let the chickens out now.

i take it quails make their own noise, is it a cutie?. is the other one still going?
Oh i wish I'd asked advise before I went ahead. Poor little thing, I dont think there is much hope.

i take it quails make their own noise, is it a cutie?. is the other one still going?
Oh i wish I'd asked advise before I went ahead. Poor little thing, I dont think there is much hope.

I was really on a time crunch with this quail egg because I needed to set my silkie eggs. I have two mini brinseas.

As you can see there's no room for the quail to hatch in there. So he pipped internally at 9 pm on Wednesday night then at 10pm he externally pipped. By 6-7 pm the following night no progress. So I took him out to investigate. He had cracked the shell but not the external membrane. So I made a small hole and found his beak, he was opening and closing his beak but never made a peep or chirp. I looked close with my led flashlight and saw a good sized red vein. I wrapped him in a moist paper towel and put in back. The humidity was high...almost 90%! But after two hours I could see he was trying to make progress but the internal membrane was drying out and sticking to him. So I set up my little assist station and took the egg out. I started peeling away the internal membrane around his beak and he was going crazy trying to get out! He pushed a wing out and wouldn't sit still. I was trying to make a zip but he just busted out of the shell! As soon as he was out he started peeping! No yoke or blood...he was ready. I put him in the incubator and went to bed. (I'd have to wait till morning to set the second half of the eggs). I just hoped he still be alive by morning. And he was! I heard peeping before I even got out of bed! When I came out to check him, his feet were curled up but he was getting around. So me and my almost 10 year old son decided to work together and put booties on him.

Now he's doing great! My 2 sons are in :love
He's all alone so they are paying a lot of attention to him. I talked to a breeder that said she doesn't think the other quail egg is dead. She just set a batch of old quail eggs (these eggs were 2-4 weeks old!) and they hatched on day 23 instead of day 18. So I still have the other egg in the incubator. I just don't know where to hatch it, if it's still alive?? I might have to make a hatcher, I guess!
Here's another pic. The boys named him "Smalls"!

oh Gita he/she is lovely, is that a little black spot? how are the others?

Thanks.
smile.png
Yeah, it is a "Dalmatian Bantam" and they have black spots. Another hatched that appears to be a Silver Duckwing, but with the feathered legs of a silky. The other two I set a couple days late but should hatch soon.

Congrats on the one that hatched! That little black spot is so adorable!!
celebrate.gif

Thanks!

Cute babies! I love all the spots!

I really like having a hatcher... one still air and and one with a fan for eggs that need higher humidity than the rest or eggs that haven't hatched yet!

I don't know WHAT I was thinking but I set some duck eggs today. I realized that I can get blue ducklings from my Lilac duck so I mostly set her eggs.

Little Dude drying off

Little Dude with his younger sibling, Santos, a Silver Duckwing with feathered feet

The two are dry now

They are still in a starter brooder at the time, a laundry basket with a towel, our snake's heat-light hung from a door knob with a plate to hide under. They adore having something to hide under and use this "cave" all the time. It makes them feel safer, like they are hiding under their mother. Its also to let them cool off when they over heat, as they tend to stay under the heat light until they are panting.

I'm so excited! My first hatch started last night (day 21) with four pips, and one chick was out this morning! I have three as of right now, with six more expected. These are eggs I bought on eBay from Kathy Leininger and the very first fertile eggs to make it through. (I bought a dozen eggs that never developed-they were supposed to be my "practice" hatch). I was so worried, since I threw this incubator together and it has consistently varied by two degrees, and the day that was supposed to be lockdown decided to drop a few degrees, and given the timing I did not want to mess with the (bad) thermostat. So I was afraid the chicks would be weak and/or compromised in some way. I did "help" those that had pipped internally and were cheeping away by opening the shells, I was afraid about the weirdness with the temps that they wouldn't have the strength to break the shells on their own. Probably overkill and now I'm watching them like a hawk to make sure the humidity stays nice and high. The hatchlings are not in any way weak though. The last to hatch was climbing on the thermometer/hygrometer an hour after it emerged completely from the egg. They seem very healthy so far!

~~aside-I've been lurking so much I thought I had joined BYC but hadn't-I had to set up an account to make this post! :D

I'm so excited! My first hatch started last night (day 21) with four pips, and one chick was out this morning! I have three as of right now, with six more expected. These are eggs I bought on eBay from Kathy Leininger and the very first fertile eggs to make it through. (I bought a dozen eggs that never developed-they were supposed to be my "practice" hatch). I was so worried, since I threw this incubator together and it has consistently varied by two degrees, and the day that was supposed to be lockdown decided to drop a few degrees, and given the timing I did not want to mess with the (bad) thermostat. So I was afraid the chicks would be weak and/or compromised in some way. I did "help" those that had pipped internally and were cheeping away by opening the shells, I was afraid about the weirdness with the temps that they wouldn't have the strength to break the shells on their own. Probably overkill and now I'm watching them like a hawk to make sure the humidity stays nice and high. The hatchlings are not in any way weak though. The last to hatch was climbing on the thermometer/hygrometer an hour after it emerged completely from the egg. They seem very healthy so far!

~~aside-I've been lurking so much I thought I had joined BYC but hadn't-I had to set up an account to make this post! :D

Welcome to BYC! Congrats on the hatch!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom