Sept Silkie hatches (Great Hatches)

Awesome! Congrats on the eggs!

I had a question. It seems like everyone is buying Paint Silkies this year, but I hadn't even heard of them until this year. When were they developed?

Thank you!! I believe that were developed in the Netherlands several years ago and have only been in the U.S. Maybe around 5 years. I'm not 100% sure. It does seem like everyone is talking about paints this year!

Thank you!! I believe that were developed in the Netherlands several years ago and have only been in the U.S. Maybe around 5 years. I'm not 100% sure. It does seem like everyone is talking about paints this year!

Thanks! That's very helpful information.
smile.png

I've heard both day 4 and day 7. Whatever it is, none of my shipped eggs hatched, so I can't say what works for me.

You were never able to hatch shipped eggs? Oh man, that's so disappointing! I know, these last two batches were horrible for me too! You feel like your wasting money and time and then all the disappointment when they don't hatch! What state are you in? Have you tried shipping eggs from only a state or two away?

You were never able to hatch shipped eggs? Oh man, that's so disappointing! I know, these last two batches were horrible for me too! You feel like your wasting money and time and then all the disappointment when they don't hatch! What state are you in? Have you tried shipping eggs from only a state or two away?

This was my first time with shipped eggs, and they were from pretty far away. None of them were broken and all of them were fertile, so I certainly want to try again. Usually I just hatch my own eggs under a broody.

This was my first time with shipped eggs, and they were from pretty far away. None of them were broken and all of them were fertile, so I certainly want to try again. Usually I just hatch my own eggs under a broody.

Definitely try again. Do some research on proper packing. I could send you some pics, if you like, so you can get the idea of the best way to have eggs packed. Then ask the seller for details on how they pack. I really should have done that last time and am kicking myself for not asking! I think the packaging is a huge part. Even if they are not broken, if they are not packed right to properly absorb shock from being thrown around then the air cells take the hit. But it can be done! Good packing and very fresh eggs should give you at least 50% hatch rate. Older eggs and sub-par packing = bust!!

Definitely try again. Do some research on proper packing. I could send you some pics, if you like, so you can get the idea of the best way to have eggs packed. Then ask the seller for details on how they pack. I really should have done that last time and am kicking myself for not asking! I think the packaging is a huge part. Even if they are not broken, if they are not packed right to properly absorb shock from being thrown around then the air cells take the hit. But it can be done! Good packing and very fresh eggs should give you at least 50% hatch rate. Older eggs and sub-par packing = bust!!

Thanks! Pictures would really help!

Could it be that eggs laid later in the year are more delicate? Mine all seemed a little small, narrow and porous when I received them.

Thanks! Pictures would really help!

Could it be that eggs laid later in the year are more delicate? Mine all seemed a little small, narrow and porous when I received them.

I don't know. That's a good question. So much comes into play. How are the birds fed? How old/young? How healthy? These are all unknowns with shipped eggs. The
most recent batch I have all have thick shells and are a nice size! They are so thick they are hard to candle and they are silkie eggs. The last eggs I got from the other breeder were just like you said, narrow, thin and porous! Some were like a torpedo shape. Also it may depend on the climate and the state they are shipped from? I don't know. I will find those pics for you. They are on another thread.

hello
I've been knocked out with a bad cold for days. In the height of fevers and chills the eggs decided to hatch! 6 out of 7 made it. The one that didn't was strange, it candled showing lots of fluid down 1 side of the chick, but its weigth loss was only a bit behind. It didn't pip, and hardly moved when candled. after it died I found a small chick with a closed navel, feathers all full formed but skinny, no yolk left out but also no rounded belly. I think this one either didn't get a normal amount of yolk to begin with or metabolised it too quickly.

Thats the end of my hatching for a few years until nature reduces the mouths to feed!
Good luck to everyone and I hope you enjoy hatching and the great support this forum offers.

in particular I am so grateful for the support given by the people on this (and the previous silkie thread) through all the ups and downs. Just wanted to acknowledge that and say good bye.

Lea

Back
Top Bottom