SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Well, our humidity is still up in the 60’s-70’s in the incubator on day 3 :hmm not much we can do to lower it though... this hatch is probably going to be a real trial by fire conditions wise! :fl For sun and dry weather again.

In other news my Marans girls (I only set 2 Marans eggs out of 20 eggs, because guess who decided to stop laying as soon as I started collecting to hatch? :rolleyes:) have started laying again! So should I hold back some eggs to see if there are any duds at candling and try for a staggered hatch? Or fire up the second incubator again?

Speaking of incubators I have a question for all you people with lots of styrofoam ‘bator experience. So... due to a “mishap” with our water supply (not us! an Aunt drunkenly left a tap running all night which drained the 1000 gallon water holding tank) I have been cut off from water for going on over two weeks now. I’m buying drinking water by the gallon (at $5!!!) from the local store, and refilling my jerrycans at random friends houses whenever I can on the side of the island with the water system. I’m currently hauling pond water for the livestock by hand and we are “not allowed to use any water” (though they are at the farm :mad:, including the “oops, I drained all your water and flooded your septic system overnight, oh well” person) until the tank is completely refilled :(

But my second incubator still needs properly cleaned and disinfected, and it’s starting to smell funky, very funky. Is it ruined? Will I be able to save it? I scrubbed out the one I set the eggs in as best I could with my limited clean water, but it still has an “off” aroma. I really wish the interior was a less permeable surface! So how to proceed, and does that smell mean my hatch is doomed already?

ok question as haven't had this one happen before, we got notified today there will be no power tomorrow from 9 am to 5 pm, I will be out of town, should I chance taking the incubator with me for being out of town at least would only be 40 minutes without being turned or the fan forced heat of the incubator instead of 8-9 hours. Chicks are on day 11 of incubation , and the incubator is encased in Styrofoam around the hard plastic incubator.

You COULD put 2-3 water bottles in there, and i can't promise that they will keep the perfect temp the whole time, but the water will heat up, and help to keep the temp up for longer than it would with zero power. Thats what i would do, but in my august hatch, my bator was unplugged for atleast 24 hrs, and i still had a great hatch.

ok question as haven't had this one happen before, we got notified today there will be no power tomorrow from 9 am to 5 pm, I will be out of town, should I chance taking the incubator with me for being out of town at least would only be 40 minutes without being turned or the fan forced heat of the incubator instead of 8-9 hours. Chicks are on day 11 of incubation , and the incubator is encased in Styrofoam around the hard plastic incubator.
I think if it were me, I'd wrap it up good with blankets and take it with me to plug in elsewhere. It may depend on where you are in the incubation period; I seem to recall an article saying that some temperature fluctuation in the first few days won't throw things off much, but after the first week it can have a bigger impact, in part with malpositions for hatching. But don't quote me...I can't remember which article or where I found it.

You COULD put 2-3 water bottles in there, and i can't promise that they will keep the perfect temp the whole time, but the water will heat up, and help to keep the temp up for longer than it would with zero power. Thats what i would do, but in my august hatch, my bator was unplugged for atleast 24 hrs, and i still had a great hatch.
won't sork with a little one, found a friend that can keep it at here house which isn't such a long drive, water bottles aren't an option in a small bator, but will keep that onn file for when i ham using the big one. Thank you

I think if it were me, I'd wrap it up good with blankets and take it with me to plug in elsewhere. It may depend on where you are in the incubation period; I seem to recall an article saying that some temperature fluctuation in the first few days won't throw things off much, but after the first week it can have a bigger impact, in part with malpositions for hatching. But don't quote me...I can't remember which article or where I found it.
Or you could try to hunt up a broody sometime today...? I don't remember how many eggs you have.

Or you could try to hunt up a broody sometime today...? I don't remember how many eggs you have.
12 eggs that are on day 11 or 12, haven't had coffee yet lol. but I could some place the styrofoam should keep temp even for the 5 -7 minutes drive to her house as it isn't going to be affected by the last minute power outtage.

Total count of my quail hatch is 14 chicks, which I'm happy with.
20190909_160444.jpg
And here are the chickens.
20190909_161545.jpg

Back
Top Bottom