September Hatch-A-Long!

Off topic, but I also picked up my new beauties today from Paul Smith!! My new Lavender Ameraucana breeding pair have been named Isabeau and Navarre by hubby
big_smile.png
Gotta love a guy who is a romantic <3
I love that movie!

Well, just tossed the last 3 remaining eggs in my incubator. All quit except for 2 on day 7. Not sure what happened. I gave the remaining two to my broody since there's no point in leaving the incubator running for 1 egg, but should the need arise I'll power it up again.

I have 48 eggs in the incubator and its day 21!! This is my first hatch ever. day 1-18 humidity wasaround 40% because my incubator and I disagree about what it should be. I wanted it at 30-35, incubator alarm goes off under 40, to keep peace it stayed about 40 lol. I only candled the eggs once omn day 12, prefering a set and forget method. only saw two eggs I wasn't sure of, left them in cause I'm new too candling. Woke up to lots of chirping and two chicks already hatched. my fiance is so excited, we are setting up the LG now to use as a hatcher. pics to come !!!

I have 48 eggs in the incubator and its day 21!! This is my first hatch ever. day 1-18 humidity wasaround 40% because my incubator and I disagree about what it should be. I wanted it at 30-35, incubator alarm goes off under 40, to keep peace it stayed about 40 lol. I only candled the eggs once omn day 12, prefering a set and forget method. only saw two eggs I wasn't sure of, left them in cause I'm new too candling. Woke up to lots of chirping and two chicks already hatched. my fiance is so excited, we are setting up the LG now to use as a hatcher. pics to come !!!

Wow, you must have a really nice incubator if you can set it and leave it alone. I am jealous. Mine is good but I still have to turn the eggs and get the humditiy. But mine is homemade. I bet you will have a great hatch especially since you left it alone. I can not do that. I bet if I managed to leave it alone for a whole day I would get up in my sleep and mess with it. What kind of eggs? Where they shipped?

Today is day 16 and my aircells seem on the small side. Most are starting to dip down but I just feel like they are small. I did the dry method. Humidity ran about 30% so far. Should I change humidity? Is it too late now?

My one Barthuhner is now being kept company in the brooder by 2 Crested Cream Legbars! All 12 chicks are currently alive but there are a couple that were rescues and may not make it. All were pipped except those 2. I candled, could see no movement and no internal pip. The shadows looked strange in the air cells and I figured they'd died due to malposition. I took them out to eggtopsy. It turned out neither was quite dead yet, but neither would ever get out of the shell on its own and it was just a matter of time. Both had their head down between their legs in the pointy end and a foot stretched across their own back :( One I was able to retrieve his beak without any blood loss and I think will make it fine. The other had his beak all the way behind his own butt and his face (and whole body for that matter) was covered with ruptured yolk. I will be shocked if she makes it but it won't be for lack of trying. I was able to extract her head to breath but with the ruptured yolk and who knows what other problems I highly doubt her prospects. Her foot looked a little misshapen too :/ I know they aren't all meant to live - I just don't like to let them die for something I probably did wrong in my hatching technique that led to malposition. 12 were in lockdown, and at least for now there 12 still alive and only one I think won't make it. I will take that.

n,m
Wow, you must have a really nice incubator if you can set it and leave it alone.  I am jealous.  Mine is good but I still have to turn the eggs and get the humditiy.  But mine is homemade.  I bet you will have a great hatch especially since you left it alone.  I can not do that.  I bet if I managed to leave it alone for a whole day I would get up in my sleep and mess with it.  What kind of eggs?  Where they shipped?

Its a new incubator and I got the automatic turners. So all I have to do is add water when I alarms lol. I am definitly checking it a lot today! I got the eggs at auction locally from an Amish farmer that goes regularly. I used the set and forget meythosd because this was a test run with cheap barnyard mix chicks. So I should get better results in spring when everything needs to be perfect. Only paid $1.25/dozen for the eggs so even if the two that hatched are all that hatch I'm okay with that.

Back
Top Bottom