Several Mystery Breeds...

Leolorelei

Chirping
Aug 23, 2018
Iowa
Hello!

I got some birds from someone who hatched a bunch of mystery eggs, and couldn't give me much info on them... I have some guesses about a few but wanted some other input from those who may know more!

1) I got this pretty roo. I'm guessing some sort of birchen marans or olive egger made with marans:
20190319_183835.jpg
20190319_124011.jpg

2) Then there is this fella. He is pretty, but I really have no clue!
20190319_183949.jpg
20190319_184159.jpg

3-4) I have these two other mysteries... Splash has a single comb and the white one I think a pea or tiny rose comb?:
20190319_184024.jpg
20190319_184530.jpg
20190319_184105.jpg

They are very, very skittish, and I wasn't able to get better pictures of their faces, I'm sorry!

5) Pretty little lady, not sure what color egg she lays:
20190319_192014.jpg
20190319_191945.jpg

6) Last one for now! (Need pics of a couple of others...) My guess is that he is crele oegb?
20190319_192452.jpg

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! <3

2) Is a Red Sex Link rooster.
5) Looks like my hen Vienna with a single comb.
IMG_8041.JPG

No. 1 looks to be a dark brahma. I used to have a bantam dark brahma the looked exactly like yours. Unsure as to what the other ones could be but they are really pretty birds.

definitely not a dark brahma... brahmas have yellow legs and pea combs, not white legs and single combs. Additionally, a brahma should have more leg feathering.

I agree these are mostly mixes.
The first cockerel is a marans mix, the second is a red sex link cockerel. The rest... lovely mixes.

They are all mixed breeds. Sometimes you can guess what's in the mix and sometimes you can't.
Thank you very much! I was guessing it was likely the case, but wanted to reach out and see if anyone knew better.

2) Is a Red Sex Link rooster.
5) Looks like my hen Vienna with a single comb. View attachment 1707442
I do not know why I never even thought about RSL. Makes total sense with the red leakage. Ooh, she is a pretty girl! I agree they look similar. I just love the peachy/wheatenish coloring on them~ Any idea what your Vienna is?

No. 1 looks to be a dark brahma. I used to have a bantam dark brahma the looked exactly like yours. Unsure as to what the other ones could be but they are really pretty birds.
Thank you! I don't mind that they are mixes, they are so fun to see around the yard, regardless!

Mixed breeds.
XD Seems to be the concensus, thank you so much for your help!

definitely not a dark brahma... brahmas have yellow legs and pea combs, not white legs and single combs. Additionally, a brahma should have more leg feathering.

I agree these are mostly mixes.
The first cockerel is a marans mix, the second is a red sex link cockerel. The rest... lovely mixes.
Yeah, the shank-only feathering is what made me figure maran. He is pretty and non-aggressive. I am happy with him, regardless of being a mutt~
‐---------

Thank you again so much for your help and time, everyone!

@Leolorelei , Vienna is a barnyard mix. Her mother was a RSL mixed with a Buff Orpington. Her father was some type of half EE. I don't know what the rest of was, though. Vienna has been one of four great egg layers that lays large to jumbo sized green eggs, and in top of things the layed just about every day. I have had her and her half sisters since 2016.
Here is some pictures of the others:
IMG_8001.JPG
IMG_8009.JPG
IMG_8030.JPG

@Lacy Duckwing ~ Oooh, they are just darling! Thank you so much for sharing them and what you know of their lineage with me! I really appreciate it! Pretty, pretty girls! (And so sorry for the delayed response... apparently I never hit post...)

Back
Top Bottom