Sexing Rouen and interbreeding questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bridger Davis, May 1, 2019.

1. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    Hey everyone! So I was looking at Harlow, my 4 wk. old Rouen duckling when I noticed a little green shimmer from the feathers coming in on the very top of her head... Does this necessarily mean that it is a boy? If so, knowing that the Rouen is the heaviest of my ducks, I would probably have to get rid of it, right? Just as a reminder, I have 2 cayugas, 1 swedish, and that one rouen. They were supposed to have been girls because they were sexed at the hatchery... Anyways I was also wondering if interbreeding would be a problem... I was thinking if one of the cayugas or the swedish turned out to be a boy, would it be dangerous to hatch an egg from them? Thanks!

casportpony likes this.
  2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Its no indication of sex this young. Your Rouen will be fine to mate the others. All ducks can cross. With the exception of maybe a Muscovy drake will Call Ducks...I wouldn't try that.

3. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Agreed! Ducks go through a juvenile molt around 4 months. This is when they will get their darker head feathers and drake tail feathers. Up until then, voice sexing is the easiest way to tell male from female.

Miss Lydia and Bridger Davis like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Hopefully they are all girls! :fl

Bridger Davis likes this.
  5. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    Yes, but on the other hand, baby ducks all over again would be great too....:lol::lol::love

Texag87 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: