Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

:tongue
20220515_165901.jpg

yes that's right. 70 years on the throne. She's a real trooper. Health issues are kicking in now though. Losing Philip and getting Covid both took a heavy toll I think.
Given she's outlived her life expectancy at birth by nearly 40 years I'd say she's done quite well! She's been pretty healthy until recently. Most of us won't be looking at 95 from the far side.

Maybe one of the chicks can be called Elizabeth
I have one! She's a Gold Laced Wyandotte. Victoria is a Silver Laced. My older daughter names the birds.

I guess I better pay a tax of some sort even though I'm not extolling the virtues of royalty (I'm not a big follower actually).

This is Nuit (Black Australorp hatched at Meyer in June 2015) with the 5 of the 6 littles from Meyer June 2021. Sadly the light one, a splash Ameraucana, died in March, never laid an egg.
IMG_0333.jpeg

It's fun to read about roosting habits of Henry and the ladies. Roosting with roosters is a topic I can't get enough of.

I've posted about how our Easter Egger rooster Stilton always roosts next to his best girl, Miss Ashley. The other night's "roost theatre" was extra entertaining when the Brahmas decided to make a play for their roosting corner.

There are 7 birds in this picture (one of the EEs is buried in the far-right corner). To be clear, there are at least 6 more feet of prime roosting space in this coop, empty but for a couple sleepy Langshans ignoring the drama.

7isaCrowd.jpg

Miss Eula made it the furthest, ending up under Ashley's wing, who ended up under Stilton's wing. They held fast.

This picture captures Ash & Stiltz wondering when they both got so popular. If you zoom in, you can see Stilton "holding Ashley's hand." He often sleeps with a toe over one of hers.

UnderWingCam.jpg

Obviously I'm tremendously honored (while trying not to make a big deal out of it) when he does the same for me. Here's a picture from when Stilton wanted to hang out, but my lap was already full of hens.

StiltonLove.jpg

It's fun to read about roosting habits of Henry and the ladies. Roosting with roosters is a topic I can't get enough of.

I've posted about how our Easter Egger rooster Stilton always roosts next to his best girl, Miss Ashley. The other night's "roost theatre" was extra entertaining when the Brahmas decided to make a play for their roosting corner.

There are 7 birds in this picture (one of the EEs is buried in the far-right corner). To be clear, there are at least 6 more feet of prime roosting space in this coop, empty but for a couple sleepy Langshans ignoring the drama.

View attachment 3109292
Miss Eula made it the furthest, ending up under Ashley's wing, who ended up under Stilton's wing. They held fast.

This picture captures Ash & Stiltz wondering when they both got so popular. If you zoom in, you can see Stilton "holding Ashley's hand." He often sleeps with a toe over one of hers.

View attachment 3109293

Obviously I'm tremendously honored (while trying not to make a big deal out of it) when he does the same for me. Here's a picture from when Stilton wanted to hang out, but my lap was already full of hens.

View attachment 3109294
That is a precious explanation of your series of pics! ❤️

View attachment 3109292

View attachment 3109293

View attachment 3109294
There is something heartmelting about roosters I will never be able to put into words.
Lovely pictures btw.

You're tax free for life on this thread.:love

Good grief. A bunch of Royalists have broken out on my chicken thread.:eek:
If you all wouldn't mind forming an orderly line behind the wooden structure below I would be most appreciative.
You may of course avoid the seperation of head from body by paying treble tax and signing this document which apart from all the sub clauses you needn't bother with, which states you will accept nor worship any higher power by birthright.
View attachment 3108603
Thank you all so much for your cooperation.
I'm not keen on monarchy, but E2 has done well with it. (I have a feeling one of the reasons some Australians are comfortable with the monarchy is that our democracy is so very strong. )

Signed, MJ

IMG_2022-04-23-09-36-37-256.jpg

Back
Top Bottom