share coop pics!

the coop is 12'x4' not counting the nesting box area. the run is 19'x12'. i let the flock free range whenever i feel it is safe. right now ive got 12 hens and a rooster.

thats what i thought and you said you can fit 22 chickens in there? because im building an 8x12 and people say i can only hold 7 chickens in it. which i don't agree with but that is just me. it is very nice and big i like it a lot.
tongue.png

thanks, i said 22 chickens comfortably, but that would honestly be pushing it in the winter. from what i understand chickens need a minimum of 2 square feet per bird in the coop alone. the more space the better. many people plan to have 4 square feet per bird witch in my opinion would be ideal. my chickens have a decent size run, and i let them free range almost every day so i feel okay with having less square feet per bird. my flock seems very healthy compared to most flocks i see in person.

My cedar Wichita bantam coop. With all 1/2 hardware cloth and one concrete block deep in the grond. As soon as I put the expanding foam in the roof ridges it will be as snake proof as I can get it. The wire stopped the neighbors lab.

Still a work in progress. Will be finished this weekend. I created my own plans, if you want a copy just write me and I send a digital copy out. The plans are well done, though still working on the real one. It will be insulated finished off with roofing and electric supply. Cost: $100~400 depending on your material selection. My first set of chicks come in next week... can not wait.

Still a work in progress. Will be finished this weekend. I created my own plans, if you want a copy just write me and I send a digital copy out. The plans are well done, though still working on the real one. It will be insulated finished off with roofing and electric supply. Cost: $100~400 depending on your material selection. My first set of chicks come in next week... can not wait.

Did you use an online program do do that? I've been looking for something like that to design my coop.
Very nice, by the way

I made ours from an old trailer canopy I found in a friends paddock.

1200mm x 2400mm. Has been modified a number of times but has been the same for a couple of months now lol

2 levels, sand poop boards, 3 perches. Started with 6 nest boxes, but they were to small for my heavy breeds so I removed two dividers. Now I have two big nests and two small nests. (big ones still cram into the small nests lol)

Side door, ventilation and double big doors for cleaning. PVC gravity feeders underneath for feed and shell grit. Nipple drinkers with 25l capacity tucked under the nest boxes. Run is about 20m2, but we let them out to wander the yard in the afternoons. Run has washed river sand as the base.

Also made a little green garden for them which has done a nice job.

Different size nest boxes. (I would have made them the same, just didn't realise how big our Light Sussex would get!)

The run after we added the river sand (wet clay was terrible!) The two vines are different kinds of passion fruit.

Their little green garden

Insdie perches with kids playground sand, we just clean it out once a day with a home made sift (converted milk jug!)

An old bulk olive container connected to a PCV pipe with two nipple drinkers. The hanging water is now removed.

The day I picked up the frame...'a clean slate' is a good way to describe it, came from a 6x4 trailer.

Had some changes along the way, mostly for making more space to clean and move about. An in progress shot of the current form.

Also made this 'rooster night box' We are not supposed to keep roo's, so this was a comprimise we made to keep him quiet through the night.

Also made this mobile tractor from scraps, has wheels so we can move it about. We are using it as a grow out coop for younger birds.

Last edited:
I made ours from an old trailer canopy I found in a friends paddock.

1200mm x 2400mm. Has been modified a number of times but has been the same for a couple of months now lol

2 levels, sand poop boards, 3 perches. Started with 6 nest boxes, but they were to small for my heavy breeds so I removed two dividers. Now I have two big nests and two small nests. (big ones still cram into the small nests lol)

Side door, ventilation and double big doors for cleaning. PVC gravity feeders underneath for feed and shell grit. Nipple drinkers with 25l capacity tucked under the nest boxes. Run is about 20m2, but we let them out to wander the yard in the afternoons. Run has washed river sand as the base.

Also made a little green garden for them which has done a nice job.

Different size nest boxes. (I would have made them the same, just didn't realise how big our Light Sussex would get!)

The run after we added the river sand (wet clay was terrible!) The two vines are different kinds of passion fruit.

Their little green garden

Insdie perches with kids playground sand, we just clean it out once a day with a home made sift (converted milk jug!)

An old bulk olive container connected to a PCV pipe with two nipple drinkers. The hanging water is now removed.

The day I picked up the frame...'a clean slate' is a good way to describe it, came from a 6x4 trailer.

Had some changes along the way, mostly for making more space to clean and move about. An in progress shot of the current form.

Also made this 'rooster night box' We are not supposed to keep roo's, so this was a comprimise we made to keep him quiet through the night.

Also made this mobile tractor from scraps, has wheels so we can move it about. We are using it as a grow out coop for younger birds.

Love it!

Back
Top Bottom