share coop pics!

Still a work in progress. Will be finished this weekend. I created my own plans, if you want a copy just write me and I send a digital copy out. The plans are well done, though still working on the real one. It will be insulated finished off with roofing and electric supply. Cost: $100~400 depending on your material selection. My first set of chicks come in next week... can not wait.

Still a work in progress. Will be finished this weekend. I created my own plans, if you want a copy just write me and I send a digital copy out. The plans are well done, though still working on the real one. It will be insulated finished off with roofing and electric supply. Cost: $100~400 depending on your material selection. My first set of chicks come in next week... can not wait.

Did you use an online program do do that? I've been looking for something like that to design my coop.
Very nice, by the way

I made ours from an old trailer canopy I found in a friends paddock.

1200mm x 2400mm. Has been modified a number of times but has been the same for a couple of months now lol

2 levels, sand poop boards, 3 perches. Started with 6 nest boxes, but they were to small for my heavy breeds so I removed two dividers. Now I have two big nests and two small nests. (big ones still cram into the small nests lol)

Side door, ventilation and double big doors for cleaning. PVC gravity feeders underneath for feed and shell grit. Nipple drinkers with 25l capacity tucked under the nest boxes. Run is about 20m2, but we let them out to wander the yard in the afternoons. Run has washed river sand as the base.

Also made a little green garden for them which has done a nice job.

Different size nest boxes. (I would have made them the same, just didn't realise how big our Light Sussex would get!)

The run after we added the river sand (wet clay was terrible!) The two vines are different kinds of passion fruit.

Their little green garden

Insdie perches with kids playground sand, we just clean it out once a day with a home made sift (converted milk jug!)

An old bulk olive container connected to a PCV pipe with two nipple drinkers. The hanging water is now removed.

The day I picked up the frame...'a clean slate' is a good way to describe it, came from a 6x4 trailer.

Had some changes along the way, mostly for making more space to clean and move about. An in progress shot of the current form.

Also made this 'rooster night box' We are not supposed to keep roo's, so this was a comprimise we made to keep him quiet through the night.

Also made this mobile tractor from scraps, has wheels so we can move it about. We are using it as a grow out coop for younger birds.

Last edited:
I made ours from an old trailer canopy I found in a friends paddock.

1200mm x 2400mm. Has been modified a number of times but has been the same for a couple of months now lol

2 levels, sand poop boards, 3 perches. Started with 6 nest boxes, but they were to small for my heavy breeds so I removed two dividers. Now I have two big nests and two small nests. (big ones still cram into the small nests lol)

Side door, ventilation and double big doors for cleaning. PVC gravity feeders underneath for feed and shell grit. Nipple drinkers with 25l capacity tucked under the nest boxes. Run is about 20m2, but we let them out to wander the yard in the afternoons. Run has washed river sand as the base.

Also made a little green garden for them which has done a nice job.

Different size nest boxes. (I would have made them the same, just didn't realise how big our Light Sussex would get!)

The run after we added the river sand (wet clay was terrible!) The two vines are different kinds of passion fruit.

Their little green garden

Insdie perches with kids playground sand, we just clean it out once a day with a home made sift (converted milk jug!)

An old bulk olive container connected to a PCV pipe with two nipple drinkers. The hanging water is now removed.

The day I picked up the frame...'a clean slate' is a good way to describe it, came from a 6x4 trailer.

Had some changes along the way, mostly for making more space to clean and move about. An in progress shot of the current form.

Also made this 'rooster night box' We are not supposed to keep roo's, so this was a comprimise we made to keep him quiet through the night.

Also made this mobile tractor from scraps, has wheels so we can move it about. We are using it as a grow out coop for younger birds.

Love it!

Did you use an online program do do that? I've been looking for something like that to design my coop.
Very nice, by the way

Sure did. The software is called SketchUp.
Its a company that Google is somehow affiliated with. The software is free and quite powerful.

http://www.sketchup.com/download

I redesigned the coop 3 times before getting it perfect for my tastes. There are some tutorial videos that will teach you how to use it on the site. Creating angle and getting measurements is pretty simple. Once you figure it out the first time, is easier after that. I was able to create very detailed measurement snapshots like this:

And was able to minimize waist by laying out all the pieces on a board the same size you would find at HomeDepot.
See what you can do when you simply cut out all sleep from your schedule?

Last edited:
I would love to learn more about your watering setup shown below. Right now I'm exploring different concepts. What is that tube running up the outside about?

Quote:

My first coop - it's only a 4x4x4... For our 4 hens that my friend needed to get rid of. The run comes out 6 ft and this weekend we are doubling the height of the run. Because of the MN winters, we thought a smaller coop would be best and plan on letting them roam our 500 sq ft garden spring and fall - thoughts?!?

Back
Top Bottom