Shell-Less Egg

My girl Popcorn did this once and it was weird, she laid an egg with shell the same day and then she also popped out a shell-less egg. It's never happened since and she then carried on laying shelled ones. I don't really know what to suggest as she was fine and came round pretty quick. Maybe she's lacking some minerals or coming up to a moult?
Thanks for sharing your story. My concern is that she is a high production breed in her first laying cycle, was laying almost every day and this came on suddenly. I do hope the calcium helps and will do more if I think it’s needed.

Wow I’m late to this conversation. Sorry this is happening Michelle. I have had a hen into the vet for a shell less egg and the vet said there is absolutely nothing you can do...medical treatment wise. He said if it happens a bunch of times then you know what problem you have (repro probs).
When they don’t lay a normal egg, they dont feel well at all, before and after. Although they feel better after. I don’t think you need to separate her out.
Leghorns are high production birds, I think she is not getting enough calcium with your all flock for her. Being high production.
A suggestion, try setting out some crushed eggshells (feed them back their eggshells) in a couple of places (where D can get at them without being chased off from the new novelty), and see if things improve. Wash them, dry them out good and crush them up to very bite sized pieces. A lot of birds just do not enjoy the oyster shell. Also make sure she is eating the bird feed vs treats that aren’t feed (I know you are).

Last edited:
Wow I’m late to this conversation. Sorry this is happening Michelle. I have had a hen into the vet for a shell less egg and the vet said there is absolutely nothing you can do...medical treatment wise. He said if it happens a bunch of times then you know what problem you have (repro probs).
When they don’t lay a normal egg, they dont feel well at all, before and after. Although they feel better after. I don’t think you need to separate her out.
Leghorns are high production birds, I think she is not getting enough calcium with your all flock for her. Being high production.
A suggestion, try setting out some crushed eggshells (feed them back their eggshells) in a couple of places (where D can get at them without being chased off from the new novelty), and see if things improve. Wash them, dry them out good and crush them up to very bite sized pieces. A lot of birds just do not enjoy the oyster shell. Also make sure she is eating the bird feed vs treats that aren’t feed (I know you are).
Thanks, Kathy. I do put eggshells out when I have them. However, putting them in different spots, the oyster shell too, is a great idea!

So, after learning my flock is still fat, based on a vet examining Ruby recently, I have put them on a diet. This means I am rationing feed, only putting out 3/4 of a cup per bird per day. Do you think that could be a factor in Dorothy’s issue?

Last edited:
So, after learning my flock is still fat, based on a vet examining Ruby recently, I have put them on a diet. This means I am rationing feed, only putting out 3/4 of a cup per bird per day. Do you think that could be a factor and Dorothy’s issue?
I would consider seriously any new variable as a possibility. That feed is balanced so the decrease ( she may not be getting a lot) may be having an effect. Couple that with the possibility she doesn’t love oyster shell or it’s being guarded.

Back
Top Bottom