Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A WHAT!?!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When I groomed them they seem passive aggressive. They would never bite, but they also wouldn't cooperate. If I said sit, they stood up. If I tried to hold their head still they moved about. They all had an independent spunk to them. People who owned them seemed to adore them. So they must have some good qualities.

I agree kind of passive aggressive/independent thinkers.

The one we had was already an adult, we think when rescued. Maybe a little over a year old. He was sweet, loved being with me all the time. Not such a fan of men but then his background was sketchy at best.
He paid close attention and learned new things easily. He was not heartbroken when he came here but my other dogs helped a lot with that.
He was playful, snuggly and brave.

Would I recommend them as a pet. Yes I would. Most dogs do well with a calm confident owner and I found that no different with that little guy.

Interesting side note.....he had been starved. He was 1/2 the normal weight of a Shi-tzu when he got here. Yet even with all that hunger he was not good aggressive in the least. He had been chased and cornered many times by strays in that area he came from but was never fearful of my big dogs.

This is very helpful and interesting so thank you both!! Seems they are quite non combative and forgiving dogs then? Given even after going through a lot or being in stressful situations they still don’t resort to aggression? and seem possibly smarter than some of the little dogs?

I always considered them the Ghandi of dog breeds. They dealt with things by laying down, and pretending not to hear a thing. :) Of course all my experience is with other people's dogs.

:lau I like that description. And that’s true! I bet they probably act different with their people lol

Buddy was easy to house train. As to winter....he got cold easy and collected snowballs in his fur. He did not enjoy being out for more than a few minutes at a time if it was under 30°.

I still miss that little goomer.
So no need for winter walks? Maybe she goes in a sled and I pull her along. We are already pushing dogs around in wheelbarrows here. :)

The best I can describe Buddy.....

Personable
Loved everyone (except hubs but there's a reason)
Energetic
Eager to please
Easily trained
Great lap buddy
Easily transported

Did I forget cute? Yes he was stinkin cute as heck.

In winter I put tiny sweat shirts on him. He waited patiently to get dressed to go out.

Yes I would get another.

The best I can describe Buddy.....

Personable
Loved everyone (except hubs but there's a reason)
Energetic
Eager to please
Easily trained
Great lap buddy
Easily transported

Did I forget cute? Yes he was stinkin cute as heck.

In winter I put tiny sweat shirts on him. He waited patiently to get dressed to go out.

Yes I would get another.
I think you have convinced me. When the time comes. I'm looking for easier dogs these days. The grooming I can handle myself since I used to do that as a living and still have all my equipment. My little Boston bulldog mixes are perfect dogs for us. I just like something different in my pack. Shih tzu sound like a good fit, and they are so adorable.

I’m so glad this thread has been revived 😍🥰 Shih Tzus seem like such amazing little dogs!!

I also really Havanese though if you can find any or maybe a Bichon? My friend has a Bichon and he was amazing! They have a “Cavachon” now, also amazing. Icelandic Sheepdogs “Icies” are cool dogs too and not too too big. Although they do have a lot of fur LOL

Maybe a miniature poodle (less crazy than toys 🤣🙈) or Pomeranian? Or a Schipperke? All amazing as well. They have a reputation for being yappy, temperamental things but from a good breeder and not puppy mill as well as actually trained/treated like a dog and not a toy , they are amazing as well.

But sorry, not trying to talk you out of a Shih Tzu LOL there’s just sooooo many breeds to consider 😂🤣🙈🙈🙈🙈

I personally really want a Havanese, Papillon (forgot about them lol amazing as well), and a Boston hahah

I’m so glad this thread has been revived 😍🥰 Shih Tzus seem like such amazing little dogs!!

I also really Havanese though if you can find any or maybe a Bichon? My friend has a Bichon and he was amazing! They have a “Cavachon” now, also amazing. Icelandic Sheepdogs “Icies” are cool dogs too and not too too big. Although they do have a lot of fur LOL

Maybe a miniature poodle (less crazy than toys 🤣🙈) or Pomeranian? Or a Schipperke? All amazing as well. They have a reputation for being yappy, temperamental things but from a good breeder and not puppy mill as well as actually trained/treated like a dog and not a toy , they are amazing as well.

But sorry, not trying to talk you out of a Shih Tzu LOL there’s just sooooo many breeds to consider 😂🤣🙈🙈🙈🙈

I personally really want a Havanese, Papillon (forgot about them lol amazing as well), and a Boston hahah
I think I've run through every possible breed. :lol:

I was thinking about a sheltie but all the barking. I don't like excessive barking. Corgi too, same problems.

I want a dog that isn't gonna wander off and is people oriented. I'm over wondering where the dog got to, so no more hounds.

I like my boxers and Australian shepherds but they are getting to be too big. I also want longevity. I'm looking for a quiet lap dog that doesn't need too much exercise, and gets along with other dogs. No too small because I have bigger dogs yet. Something sturdy. Not wanting to sleep in the bed is a plus too. Our bed is full currently.

It's all theoretical for now as we are full with 7 dogs.

Back
Top Bottom