Should I adopt this new chicken?!

Disease is an issue. I have also read mixed reviews on keeping a mixed flock of largefowl chickens and bantams.
That's not true if your talking disease transfer?...I have a Silkie cross, Crazy Alice that is one of my Broody Hens that lives with my Big Birds and Lester can not catch her to breed...Her eggs are infertile..She runs like a roadrunner!..lol

Last edited:
Ok, I Belive every single one of these post's here are COMPLETLY wrong.

First of all, Chickens are not "disease ridden" Chickens Really, And ducks CAN EASILY carry disease and bugs!That info is very very wrong.

Second, If you do the correct quarintine, for 4-6 weeks, Possibley 8 depending on how much space you have, And make she is Isnt carrying bugs or a illness, it should be fine.

Good luck,
–-Taylor.

Ok, I Belive every single one of these post's here are COMPLETLY wrong.

First of all, Chickens are not "disease ridden" Chickens Really, And ducks CAN EASILY carry disease and bugs!That info is very very wrong.

Second, If you do the correct quarintine, for 4-6 weeks, Possibley 8 depending on how much space you have, And make she is Isnt carrying bugs or a illness, it should be fine.

Good luck,
–-Taylor.
Thanks for the info but it's wrong...Not a debate..Although accurate info should be provided....I provided as much accurate info so far that was required..

OK, so I have to comment here. Lots and Lots of people adopt, rescue, purchase and trade chickens all the time. Many times it works out fine but sometimes disease can be transferred so you have to think and decide are the risks worth it to you. Best practice is completely closed flock, indoors, no chance of interaction with any other birds and extreme biomeasures (changing clothes, washing, etc) Most of us do not go through those extremes and we generally get through life pretty okay. So if you really want this guy/ gal then use your best practices like quarantine for a couple of weeks, treat for internal and external parasites etc.

Your other question was in regards to bantams and large fowl living together. That depends a great deal on your space, and temperament of your flock. I have a mixed flock which includes a nankin (size of a pigeon), silkies, an easter egger and a very very large but blind rooster. They all get along fine except my nankin ankle bites my poor rooster sometimes. If he could see.....

When introducing smaller ones, they should have plenty of space, ways to get out of line of sight (obstacles), preferably a place they can get to that the bigger ones can't and several food and water options and of course dutiful owners who will keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom