Showgirl chick just small or dwarf what can I give it to help not growing

Button4ever

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2021
Hello so this time last week my first ever showgirls began to hatch one died before they went into lockdown so had 3 eggs left 1 hatched fine, 1 cracked but never hatched and was dead and the other was trying to hatch for 3 days so I assisted after watching lots of videos and research as I have never done it before the chick didn’t look like it had absorbed all the yolk and it was wrapped round it’s leg a little blood on belly but wasn’t bleeding everywhere and was also shrink wrapped I have spent all week teaching it to eat and pipet it drops of water and now it’s drinking on its own it wants lots of cuddles and try’s really hard to snuggle in your hand and waddles still quite unsteady on her feet my question is it just small or is it a dwarf I have never seen anything so small pictures don’t really show how small it is

Attachments

• 27E26CEE-EC03-4ECE-AAED-DCCACBD7D364.jpeg
    27E26CEE-EC03-4ECE-AAED-DCCACBD7D364.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 7254F017-D67F-41A1-ACEE-3C0923F6D5F5.jpeg
    7254F017-D67F-41A1-ACEE-3C0923F6D5F5.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 3
  • B1511DFD-2F85-4DF8-8BC9-EF420C742DFE.jpeg
    B1511DFD-2F85-4DF8-8BC9-EF420C742DFE.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 3
Your babies are adorable ❤️ I'm sorry you lost two :hugs
The little one - did it hatch from an egg the same size as the others or was the egg smaller?
Perhaps you did it already - you can wet the chick food with a bit water to a mash so she will even get more hydrated while eating. How is she doing?

Thankyou I did try to wet the food to a mash but it wasn’t having any of it but it is eating and drinking by its self now which is very good, it does have a scabby bellybutton from its little bleed and does like to stay under the heater but it’s not Ill looking and shoots out like a little rocket when it here’s me 😂 All 4 eggs were the same size I asked my mum today when she popped in did she think she had grown in the last week she couldn’t see any difference apart from it being fluffy now as I had to over a period of time wash it’s back to try get all the hard membrane off from where it was shrink wrapped I also hatched at the same time 3 polish which are all ok 😊

That's great that she is eating and drinking now by herself and is so active and can run so fast! Good signs, I think.
Please watch out that no other chick pecks/trys to peck her scabby bellybutton.
When all the eggs were same size I have no idea why she is so much smaller.
I think you did a great job helping her out of her shell being shrink wrapped and all and then cleaning her so often so she could become fluffy :thumbsup
Your tiny one is definitely a fighter. I hope with all my heart that she will thrieve ❤️
Congrats on all your 5 chicks 😊

You can offer her extra protein. It is also likely that since she wasn't thriving in the beginning, that stunted her growth because of lack of eating. You can offer scrambled egg, pumpkin seeds (maybe crushed for her), wetted down cat food, and Mealworms, to help boost protein. Mealworms are a treat though, so only give her no more then 10% of her diet in meal worms. Thats about a tablespoon a day for adults, probably about a teaspoon for chicks. So only a few.
She's adorable! Hopefully she starts to grow soon!

Thankyou I know it’s early days still and every day when I get up I run down to see if it has made it another night. Thankyou I will try some of those other foods and I got some mealworms today as a treat for my older 4 week olds so will see if it will take a couple. I have definitely learnt a lot with this one.

Back
Top Bottom