Sick Chick?

Thank you all for the advice, I will keep you posted on her progress, whichever way it may go. She hung out in the recliner with me tonight for a while, wrapped in a towel all warm and snug. Her crop still full compared to some of the others. I offered her more egg yolk, which she ate quickly, almost aggressively. She then napped, but had some head shaking, beak smacking episodes along with one or two times sort of big open mouth yawning. I took her back down with the others, where she was quickly welcomed back. I guess they like to snuggle with her too!

It did cross my mind that she may be a bantam or some other small breed since McMurray includes a "free exotic chick" with their orders. I went for a surprise standard rainbow layer package so aside from the obvious 5 EE'ers, Silver Spangled Hamburg Trio, and Silver Laced Wyandotte, the rest of the yellows and chipmunk looking chicks are a mystery.

Thanks again!!
Always keep an eye out for Coccidiosis,if you are not familiar with the symptoms or are new to keeping chickens look up information,cocci kills very fast and is the leading cause of death in chicks.

I guess I kind of ruled that out because they have all been vaccinated. She is still with us this morning. A bit more peepy when I caught her. What is so alarming is her crop is still as full as yesterday. She has access to food all the time, but the others do not seem as full as she does. It is soft, but not overly so. If I gently massage it, sometimes it hardens up, like contractions. Maybe she is a small breed or runt and that is why her crop always looks so big, but something about it bugs me.

Here is another pic of her this morning. Her crop just seems so huge. Maybe I am overreacting, but she is just different from the other crew. Her poops are still small, slightly firm compared to the big piles the rest of them leave. I really compare it to a small bird pile you may find on a railing. Mostly brown, maybe a small dab of white in there.

Update on "Pip": I know, I tried not to name her... but it just happened last night as I was feeding her egg. She was much more vocal last night about the whole deal. Still not overly happy when I put her back with her friends. I raised the temp in the brooder for her, with plenty of places that are cooler for the others. She still keeps her same stance, as seen above, maybe even a bit more hunchy, eyes a bit more squinty, and wings a bit more droopy. Still not laying down while the others are all sprawled out. Her crop feels much softer, maybe just a few chunks of feed in there. Her poop this morning was bigger, more runny, and greenish with the white. Unfortunately this morning she is much more sluggish, and has a slight tick sound when she breathes. It looks like breathing is a bit more difficult for her, maybe. I know this is not good. It seems like she has a bulge below her vent, but then again, maybe some of the others have a slight bulge too. Not sure if there is much more I can do for her. Any thoughts?

I just wanted to update you all and let you know I ended up losing little Pip a couple days ago. I really appreciate all the advice and input you all gave me. I'll remember it, in case this situation ever happens again. Always learning something new about these crazy birds! The remaining 17 are starting to feather out and are threatening to jump out of the brooder! Time for a top!

Thank you. I really feel she had something that just was not right about her. Really kind of a failure to thrive kind of thing. The others are great, personalities already starting to show!! I can't wait to get them outside and really watch them!

Back
Top Bottom