Sick chicken?

thinkyesi

Songster
Oct 24, 2016
I have a two year old Rhode island red. She was my very first chicken. Had her since she was only a couple days old. So she is very special to me and i dont want to loose her.

I noticed about 3 weeks ago her comb was very pale. I thought maybe the heat since in texas its at the 100s right now. I gave her some 'rooster booster' in her water and her comb looked like it was getting a little color, but not much. But now her comb is hanging down sideways which her comb never did that and it is very pale but now she is very weak. She still eats and drinks water fine on her own. But whenever she walks its very slow and she has to lay down to gain energy again. Sometimes another chicken bumps into her and her wings will drop and she will lean on her side but get back up. Ive been trying to see her poop but i havent seen any worms yet. Her poop is dark. Its green but not a bright green its a dark green and i can see all the food she eats. Its like she isnt digesting her food. Just comes straight out. She had round worms about 6 months ago and i treated it and they went away. Could it be round worms?
Last week i sprayed her down lice.

I"m sorry no one answered your post.

How is your hen doing?
When did she last lay an egg?
If at all possible take a stool sample to your vet for testing of Coccidiosis and worms.

Check the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's empty and feel the abdomen for any bloat, swelling or fluid.

Can you examine her? Check for external parasites, crop function (full at night and empty in the morning), any muscle loss in breast, any bloating of abdomen, feather condition, and vent appearance. Can you report back? I fear your girl is in bad shape and answering these questions (some of which are the same as @Wyorp Rock ) can help narrow things down.

Back
Top Bottom