Sick girl, lethargic and abnormal stool

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
One of our 5 month old girls is ill. She has abnormal stool (pic below) and has been standing alone, ruffled. Gait is steady but very slow. Nothing visible on her (parasites), no signs of internal parasites, no injury, no discharge from eyes or nose.

I started her on clavamox last night just to try a broad spectrum antibiotic. She’s still eating and drinking.

The stool is a little darker I suspect because she had blueberries before bed, but the consistency is not good. Some intestinal shed in it as well.

Would anyone recommend treating for coccidiosis as well, or could that overload her with the antibiotic? None of the other chickens are showing signs of illness.

07C91416-516A-475F-97E8-19A6AB195D3D.jpeg

There's only 2 strains of Coccidia that present with blood in the stool.
Symptoms of Coccidiosis include lethargy, loose stool with blood or mucous, not eating/drinking, puffed up or unkempt appearance.

If she's not doing well, then I'd at least work on hydration, whether that's with Corid water or electrolytes. Hydration first always. Then see if she will eat a bit of water feed or bits of egg.

I don't worry about disturbing them from sleep if they need fluids.

Just gave a direct dose of corid after some nutridrench and pulled the electrolyte water, keeping fresh water with her and snacks. She ate a little bit of chick starter but is really weak right now.
I would not give Poultry Nutri-Drench with the Corid, contraindications of B1(Thiamine).

If you are going to give the Corid, then give her mixed Corid water in addition to the direct oral dose.

Corid Liquid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days.

Is her crop emptying?

When was her last egg?
How old is she?

Have you ever dewormed her?

Check her for lice/mites and that her crop is emptying overnight.
Work on hydration, then food.

She hasn’t laid yet. She’s 5 months almost to the day.

No worming but I do prevention. Not opposed to worming but only once have I seen it, about this time last year. No other girls are impacted in our flock.

No signs of external parasites at all. I check them frequently, mostly at night but rotate the checks.

Crop feels good. Checked last night and this morning. Also palpated her abdomen but doesn’t seem swollen.

Gave her another dose of clavamox this morning. She’s eating more than drinking, so I’ve put a few sliced blueberries in the water.

At this point, suspicious she may be a Marek’s loss. I’ve anecdotally heard lavender birds can be more susceptible to illness.

So far, her eyes are clear, though slow and unsteady. No unilateral paralysis.

Would love any thoughts on treating with Corid preemptively.

When was her last egg?
How old is she?

Oh also, just for posterity she’s a 5 mo lav Ameraucana. Not vaccinated for Marek’s, but we did not introduce to the flock until about 12 weeks. From a local and reputable breeder who focuses on resistance. We have 2 Silkies from same breeder who are about 1.5 years and were hopeful about some resistance given reported Silkie susceptibility to disease.

When was her last egg?
How old is she?

She’s still eating but also isolating. I had her inside for a bit today but tried having her out for awhile too to see if she perked up. Thinking I’ll keep her inside tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    920.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom