Sick Golden Sexlink . Please help!

Never dewormed. Pl advice as to how can we.

I would do either Safeguard liquid goat dewormer, which you can pick up at a Tractor Supply, or Valbazen. Safeguard you give to each bird at a rate of .23 ml per pound of body weight. And then you repeat the treatment again in ten days.

For egg binding, you can try giving some calcium gluconate liquid as this can help a hen pass an egg. This is also something you should be able to get at TSC. The dosage can be found here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calcium-gluconate-dosage.1282103/

If that doesn't work, you can try a warm bath.

If she is egg bound, usually you see signs like them straining in the nest box but no egg, lethargy, sometimes panting, and sometimes lameness in one or both legs if the egg is pressing down on the nerves. In some cases you may also be able to feel the egg in the vent.

I think I felt an egg. Did warm bath for 15 mins and also calcium and electrolytes via a dropper. Put her back in the nesting area with towels. Trying to get a vet but no ones takes chickens arnd here :(
Hoping it is eggbinding and she's able to lay.

I think I felt an egg. Did warm bath for 15 mins and also calcium and electrolytes via a dropper. Put her back in the nesting area with towels. Trying to get a vet but no ones takes chickens arnd here :(

My daughters favorite hen in the warm bath - trying for a second time to ease egg laying

Attachments

• 5ABD5108-2B0A-47EC-986F-BA7C8C8A36A6.jpeg
    5ABD5108-2B0A-47EC-986F-BA7C8C8A36A6.jpeg
    743.3 KB · Views: 3
I'm hoping she'll be ok. She sure is a pretty one. Just try to give her a salt bath every day

We took her to emergency (that's another story - had to drive 60 miles). The vet couldn't determine for sure whether it is cancer or eggbound. She's on antibiotics etc and looks a tad bit better but can't say if she'll recover.

We took her to emergency (that's another story - had to drive 60 miles). The vet couldn't determine for sure whether it is cancer or eggbound. She's on antibiotics etc and looks a tad bit better but can't say if she'll recover.

Did they take an x-ray? Usually you can see a stuck egg in the tract if it is in fact egg binding.

An egg in an x-ray looks like this:

a71121f6-2f39-4ea7-9c46-52a7e3e0a2ee-jpeg.1309739

If it's egg binding the antibiotics won't do anything because the egg NEEDS to come out. And if it's cancer the antibiotics of course also won't treat it.

Back
Top Bottom