Sick Rooster

aramos

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 21, 2012
Hello all! I have another problem with my RIR rooster. I noticed this morning when going up to feed them that he has a very high-pitched crow (unlike him normally). When I got up to their coop, he would not come out. When I looked through the door, he was standing up, but when he tried to walk, he seemed to stumble and have to lay down. His head is also hanging down, and he does not seem to be able to hold it up. He has had a recent infection, respiratory I believe, but I treated him with antibiotics. His left eye was affected with that infection, it turned white. It cleared up with the antibiotics, and then not long after, his eye turned totally red, like a third eyelid, and then it turned white again like a film. I thought maybe he had poked his eye, because it somewhat cleared up, it just looks kind of gunky now. Up until this morning, he has been acting his totally normal self. Any ideas what could be going on?

Which antibiotic did you use that seemed to clear the initial onset of symptoms? It seems that it could be a secondary respiratory disease from what you described. If no other birds housed with him are showing symptoms, separate him to a comfortable location and give 1/2 cc injection of Tylan 50 under the skin on the back of the neck. If the rooster is large (over 5 lbs) give another 1/2 cc injection in the breast muscle. Use a 25 gauge needle and do it every day for 5 days only. Let us know whether you see improvement after a couple days. If you need to treat the flock get a bag of chlortetracycline and Gallimycin and mix it dry in equal parts together in a jar. Use a large teaspoon of it in the water for a fresh solution every day for 14 days.

Forgive me, I don't have much experience with these antibiotics, because with his infection it was the first time I had to use them, but I am pretty sure it was Tetracycline? It was in a yellow bag from Tractor Supply. Where do I find this injection? He does have two hens in with him, but they are not showing any symptoms at this time. Thanks so much!

Forgive me, I don't have much experience with these antibiotics, because with his infection it was the first time I had to use them, but I am pretty sure it was Tetracycline? It was in a yellow bag from Tractor Supply. Where do I find this injection? He does have two hens in with him, but they are not showing any symptoms at this time. Thanks so much!
TSC should carry tylan 50 injectable. It'll be in the cattle section.

Thanks. I am pretty nervous to do an injection of any kind, because I have never done it before, and he's also an aggressive rooster when he's himself so I am not sure how it will go. I'm not sure if I can make it home from work in time to help him at all though...I just talked to my mom who had gone up to check on him. She says it seems like he is having trouble breathing, and he sounds "gurgly" when he crows. He is still in his coop and can only barely lift his head
sad.png

Hi - I also do not like to inject anything. This is what I received back from another response on my post in January:

Quote:
Hope this helps! Good Luck - my rooster has had some health issues this year too.

Back
Top Bottom